OT - Harold Lloyd Movies

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Harold Lloyd Movies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:40 am:

If any of you are interested, Turner Classic Movies is showing Harold Lloyd movies all day today in honor of his birthday (April 20, 1893). Some of those moves have lots of Model T action as I recall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:17 am:

And he died on my birthday, March 8, 1971. I wonder if there is any connection there?
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Stopped running his movies as of 8:00 PM EST. Got some old German film on now that lasts 5 or 6 hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

I tried watching that 1922 German movie. Got through about 10 minutes and couldn't take it any more. Thought I'd fall asleep. A few things I did notice though--The film/camera quality was better than US as well as the sets. Seems more detail was put into the sets and not painted book shelves, etc. like most US movies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 03:01 am:

What German movie? I don't get TCM. Sometimes I wish I did, but the program suppliers require me to pay for a whole lot of channels that I would NEVER watch. And to think, I used to work on the edges of the CATV (cable television) industry and often had to explain WHY it needed to be that way. But things have changed a lot since the old days. Technology has gotten a lot better. But marketing/administration has gotten a lot worse. That was the biggest reason I got out of that business about ten years ago.
Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any six hour German movies in that time frame. "Greed" was produced and directed by Erich Von Stroheim (in its original form), but was an American film. Before the movie was completed, the studio took it away from EvS and re-edited it into its present six hour form. Amazing piece of history.

I love the silent movie era!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 04:02 am:

Dr Mabuse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:26 am:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Mabuse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Interesting. I don't believe I have ever seen it. I have seen "The Cabinet of Dr Caligari" many years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

I love the silent era, too. I wish I hadn't known about the Lloyd films. Spent too much time watching some.

On a side note, I directed high school plays for 12 years (no, I'm not a teacher -- just hired in to direct) and these kids wouldn't even WATCH a black and white movie. So, I started a movie night at the school theatre because we were doing a screw-ball comedy, which as you know, is a specific style. So, I showed them "His Girl Friday" with Cary Grant and Roselind Russel to show them the style needed.

Because I would mention Laurel and Hardy from time to time (some thought it was one word -- "larelnhardy") I showed them "Way Out West" and "The Music Box". The LOVED it and I think I made some converts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration