Pesty carb leak frustrating a newbie!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pesty carb leak frustrating a newbie!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Well, being a newbie I expect to have some false starts and frustrating experiences – comes with the territory – does it not? Well I just got my first T (14 runabout pick-up conversion). Having a great time! A few days after I got the car it started leaking gas from the carb. Roll up the sleeves and go to work. Looked like it was coming from the gasket at the bowl. So I figured the needle was not shutting the in-line. Easy! Opened it up (on the car) and pulled the float – bent the brass tab up a bit to give it more leverage on the needle. Still leaked – garage stinks! Pulled the carb off, got a new gasket set cleaned her all out (needed it) new gaskets and popped her back in. Still leaked. I tried various things over nearly 2 weeks getting frustrated.. The float was fine – if I used my hand with the bowl off I could easily cut the flow with a feather touch on the float – This is just funky! This is NOT rocket science! I looked really hard at the leak – be darned if it didn’t look like it was coming right through the side of the bowl!. Pulled it again, held it up to the light and “I’ll be damned” a small pin hole in the bowl! Made me smile! Gotya sucker! Made me feel good to actually solve a problem! Thought you all could relate!

So... JB Weld OK for this tiny patch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Regular JB weld will not hold up to gas. I have used the"SteelStik" by JB weld company. It will withstand gas. Product No. 8267
Dennis, Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Someone mentioned here that JB will dissolve with gas eventually. I would use an epoxy or tank sealer. Or solder. Neat trick finding the pin hole. It still may leak if the needle is worn. Mine does.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Clean and Solder on the inside, and you will never see it, and it will hold.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Good tip on JB! Solder it is - The needle looks new - probably replaced by the other owner who never saw the hole! REALLY small.... Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

When I was young and dumb I backed my '65 Mustang over a piece of jagged pipe cemented to the ground. It ripped a 1" hole in the gas tank and dumped 5 gallons on the ground.

I bought a couple kits of JB weld and that night I installed a metal coffee can lid patch to the outside of the gas tank with duct tape holding it in place until the JB Weld could dry.

It held for years afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

"There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix that works."

Alexander Hamilton

:-O

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration