Model T Water Pump Info Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T Water Pump Info Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:21 am:

In November 2 brothers are going to make a cross country run just like their grandfather did 100 years ago.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/275800-cross-country-road-trip/#comment-1475975

I posted on the AACA Forum this picture of a Maxwell engine with an aftermarket T water pump. Can anyone identify who made this pump so they can find one like it?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Multiple manufactures made similar design pumps, here is a match for that pump on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Accessory-Water-Pump-/222076553890?hash=ite m33b4cb4aa2:g:vH4AAOSwGYVXBIBp&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Why not rebuild it? If you don't have the know-how, I am sure someone locally can do it for you. That style would probably need a new bushing, a new shaft and pack nut. All can fairly easily be made and installed by someone who is handy with a lathe. A similar design with a pack nut next to the pulley is even easier to rebuild because it doesn't require machining a new nut like yours does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Forgot to add . . . any pump you find will most likely need a rebuild, so purchasing another pump may not be the answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

There are so many pumps that all look alike and have similar designs. Bergs for example, being a copy. Ebay has them listed all the time. Be sure any proposed pump purchase has a good pulley and gland packing nut. I love my pump. J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

I'm pretty sure those were sold under the name Blackhawk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

The Maxwell was a thermo syphon design. I would make sure the radiator is in good shape and pitch the pump. That Maxwell is a well built car, and like a T, it has no need for a water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

If you must run a water pump due to the radiator age and lack of air to heat exchange, or engine with timing or other issues, then you can buy a new water pump. Same fit at that Model T era old time pump on the Maxwell now.

Here is link for new replacement pump for Model T and will fit like the old one.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3920.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Looks like a Blackhawk to me also. They were a good pump from the era. I would not worry about the pack nut but would install new bushings and a stainless steel shaft. I think it's just 1/2 inch shaft. Looking at the photo, looks like a pipe was welded on the inlet at the bottom. I think I would clean it up after removing the welded on section and put a setup like the T's on. Hose, tube, hose. You might have to use a bend in it. A muffler shop should be able to make it up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration