T troubles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: T troubles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Finally got time to take a short ride in the T. Started well, even started on the first hand crank once it was warm. Also ran on mag. Went about 1 block and It died. Could start it,but that's all. Seems to have lost all power. Once I started it I could pull the gas lever down and there was no increase in rpm's.
When running there is a hissing sound.
I've searched a bit on the site, but can't seem to find what I'm needing.
Regards Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Sounds eerily similar to an issue Steve Jelf was having last year with his 1915 roadster. After much work, I believe he ended up buying a new gas tank.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/561388.html?1441202872

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Yes, I did. The old tank contained lots of fine dirt that went through the screen and into the carburetor. It also had a loose baffle clunking around inside, so instead of trying to fix it I just got a new tank. Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Thanks Mark and Steve. I do remember reading something about that. I'm going to take a look at it on the weekend. I also don't have an inline filter on it. My first big mistake I think. Aren't these tanks a real beast to get out?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

"I could pull the gas lever down and there was no increase in rpm s". Methinks it's a gas linkage problem. No cotter keys on either left or right gas linkages and they're not acting on the carby ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Thanks George, you had me thinking, but I went and with my grandson moving the levers, I checked all the parts. All good.:-)
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

You don't want an inline filter, except perhaps a glass bowl. With gravity feed and no fuel pump, a filter is likely to restrict the flow and make your fuel starvation worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

1. Check fuel level. 2. Drain a little out of the sediment bowl. 3. Open valve at bottom of carburetor bowl. Gas should flow freely.

If gas does not flow freely, check for dirt in the fuel line or sediment bulb. If fuel does flow freely, could be a carburetor jet clogged.

If fuel system seems to be OK, check for spark at plugs and also for timing. Could be trouble with timer, coils or wiring. Lastly check the timing gear. It could have missing teeth especially if it is a fiber gear.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:42 am:

"Aren't these tanks a real beast to get out?"

They're NTB, just be sure to drain the gas out first to reduce weight. You can eyeball part of the tank from the filler hole.
New tanks are not available for '26'27s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:58 am:

I would just hook up a secondary source of fuel (suitable container)connect up temporary and run the engine.

If it runs you know you have a fuel starvation problem pre the carb, if not you know its more involved.

You can also treat rusty tanks with sealers by favourite being POR15,(takes a few days) but guess depends on the cost of a tank in the US and if worried about original parts or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:45 am:

I haven't seen any 26-27 repro tanks. I don't think anyone makes them.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Is the choke operating OK? Decent amount of fuel in the tank? Open the carb bowl drain & check the flow. You'll know real quick if it's a flow problem. If it's slow you'll have to trace it back. As to in-line filters: I've used them forever BUT you must buy them from a lawn mower shop. They are designed for gravity feed systems. Standard fuel line sizes & priced about the same as auto parts stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:39 am:

Paul
I had a real problem with fuel starvation in my '27 roadster last year. The car had sat for a while and I eventually realized the problem was related to ethanol in the gasoline. Ended up pulling the "guts " from the sediment bowl and flushing the tank and then soaking some lacquer thinner in the tank and flushing that out. Seems OK now. Never used to be a problem until ethanol gas!! My preferred choice is now Shell premium. At this time no ethanol in it. Ethanol gas degrades quickly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Paul: Please make sure to disconnect the battery before working under the dash to remove the tank. respectfully, jb

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration