Radiator outlet rust issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radiator outlet rust issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Took my radiator off for the first time in 20 plus years. The bottom outlet is really getting eaten by rust. I have only run water in it. Leave the water in during driving season. Drain it for winter. Why? And what can be done to slow or stop it? I can only imagine the inside of engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Straight water with iron parts on the Model T will do only one thing, create iron oxide. The formation creates rust damage.

Yes, the block and head will rust, nothing lasts for ever. To retard rust always add to plain water an anti-rust agent. For best care, use distilled water or even ionized water as pond, tap, or rain water has minerals that cause deposits and can start corrosion too.

Anti-rust products include water soluble oils, and modern anti-freeze. Use either.

Anti-freeze will lose its rust preventive as it ages, so to care the best for that old iron block, head, iron parts on the radiator, and the radiator brass core; drain, flush, and refill with 50-50 mix of distilled water and anti-freeze annually.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration