Brass support rods are too short. How long should they be? pix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brass support rods are too short. How long should they be? pix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

These brass support rods fit my last car, a 1914 touring. But that should matter, should it? This is a 1912 touring. The rods are about 4 feet long and slightly bent to fit the brass loops.

The picture shows the distance from the windshield tot eh threaded post at the top. If I make it fit, there will only be maybe a quarter inch of the rod in one end like at the bottom. Too little to take the chance.

HMMMMM, IS THE WINDSHIELD ON BACKWARDS?

How long should they be. Has anyone had this problem too?

Before I fork out another $$$, just checking with you.

Thank you! Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

'14s don't have brass sup port rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

I know I put them on the 14 anyway because I like support rods. Now that I have a 12 the rods don't fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

If you had them on a 14 they should be to long for a 12

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Our 12 support rods are a bit different then yours but ours are 50 1/2 inches

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

The correct ones for a '12 are pinched at the windshield end and the pinched part is drilled for the hinge stud. Those look like someone cut them off. There is supposed to be a clamp at the front only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Bob-

I'd suggest you get a couple of short length of the correct diameter of the tubing and thread the inside of them. Put threads on the bottom end of the rods. Then put a pair of short sections of threaded stock on the inside to join the sections of tubing. You can hide the splice under, or at the edge of the bracket at the bottom end.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Here's mine:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Our pressed end sets like above are 51 in long. Our cast end sets are 52 in long

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration