Restored U&J Carburetor - It looks like art to me! Thanks Stan Howe!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Restored U&J Carburetor - It looks like art to me! Thanks Stan Howe!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Sent this carb out to Stan Howe to work his magic on a while ago and just got it back yesterday. Sure looks as good if not better then the day it left the factory! Can't wait to bolt this bad boy up to my daily driver and Zoom Zoom around town. :-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Jay keep us posted as to how it performs. I am getting ready to send my U&J for the speedster project to Stan. Just curious about your opinions as to performance. Not Stan's work, that is always excellent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Stan's the MAN! Only problem is......they are so beautiful you hate to bolt them on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Jay,

It looks great, like the Buffalo we run on our K after Stan did it. Unfortunately, I'm about to send that carb back.

Not because it doesn't work well, just because it needs to be "beautified" again........ :-)

Stan's the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 08:09 am:

My Son gave me a Stan Howe U&J for Christmas 2015.
Now that my Tudor's engine has been rebuilt it will be coming down from the wall and going on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 08:42 am:

That has always been something I wondered. How long do these brass bodies carbs typically maintain their high shine? Besides the oil and gas and grease, I'm betting they stay nice for a while since you're starting with something nearly perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Jay, let us know how she runs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Actually Donnie, I think we all know how that carburetor will perform as the reputation of a "Stan Howe Rebuilt" carburetor has been very well proven and is very well known.

I just think it's a shame that the "patina" of that carburetor has been completely destroyed due to Unca' Stans rebuilding process. Just think of how many years it takes to develop the beautiful rich dull brown, sometimes even greenish tones with bits of the rich brown rust color that we all love, on the small iron parts of that carburetor! But,....oh well,....I guess that's the price we have to live with for a genuine "Stan Howe Rebuilt"! Loss of years of rich "patina"! Now if that carburetor still had that original patina, as well as the original box the carburetor came in,.....well,.....I'm sure the total value would be at least doubled!

(Just kidding of course,....in fact, I'm sure that new carburetors seldom if ever, came with a box!) I guess maybe I've been watching too many "Antique Road Show" re-runs lately, huh?

Seriously, Unca' Stans work is truly a sight to behold, and I've often wondered if there might be some way to prolong the beauty of a newly rebuilt Stan Howe carburetor? You know,.....so we don't have to start thinking like Rob Heyen's plan of sending a "Stan Howe Rebuilt" back for a "re-beautification treatment". I wonder if an occasional spray of WD-40 or something might help retain the beautiful bright color a little longer,....??? How 'bout it Stan,......??? Any thoughts on how to retain the brightness and color of one of your rebuilts for a bit longer? With always being "xxx" number of carburetors behind in your work, I'm sure you've got more to do than "Re-brighten" already rebuilt carburetors, right? ......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

I understand that Stan will rebuild your carb with the preserved original patina finish if you ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

Harold, Im not questioning Stans work in the least bit. I have a Stan re-built Stromberg OF on my 27 touring. Same as Jay said about it being a work of art. I am mostly interested in the performance gain a U&J may give over a NH or similar carb on a stock or near stock engine. I have no doubts it is a lot better as Stan calls it a "Zoom Zoom" carb. but since Im getting ready to have mine built for the speedster project, I just like hearing about other peoples results on their car. ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

I am waiting for three U& J back from Stan,they will dress up the cars they are going on.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:28 am:

One is done Rick, two to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tomlinson on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

I received my U&J from Stan today. Awesome craftsmanship. This is my second rebuild from Stan (the other was a Zenith for a Fronty).I recommend him highly.

Thanks Stan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Stan,
What kind of paint is that on the bowl and is it gasoline proof??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Thanks. The bowl is powder coated. If they are in excellent condition I sometimes just heat blue them with a torch and a little gun blue. I like the shade that has a little brown in it. If I powder coat they get what is in my gun which is usually the charcoal gray. I like the look of it a lot and it covers little imperfections.

The bluing is prone to scratching a little, I usually do those for ones that are just going in a collection because they are so beautiful but of course it is anything proof except water -- which will rust any spots that aren't blued. The powder coating I use is pretty much impervious to anything. Can't even bead blast it off easily if you mess it up. There are a lot of different qualities of powder coat. Some will melt in Ethanol gas. Not this stuff.

I sure could use a dozen good Holley G bowls to use on G's and U & J's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Holley G bowls don't just bolt on the U & J's. Nothing does. Oddball sizes, I think they are built on Metric specs and threads. I machine down the flange where the bolt fits and also machine the stud end and re-thread it to 1 x 24 so I can make new nuts for them. The original thread is 1.017 or 26 mm x 24 tpi and I couldn't find a tap for less than a couple hundred bucks when I looked. It is easier to make the stud fit the hole in the bowl and make Imperial thread nuts. I'm all set up to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Brown on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering what brand of intake that is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Dan, it is a U&J manifold,

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

There was some wierd stuff going on in my workshop some months ago. Anything brass developed a strange 'patina', including my Stan rebuilt OF.

That's Stan's rebuild on the right, next to an untouched original. At first I was really disappointed, but now I quite like the effect. I have no idea how to replicate it. My guess is something was fuming in the workshop and the o so clean brass just soaked it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Muriatic acid fumes -- toilet bowl cleaner, a tin of soldering paste left open near the brass. Those are the usual culprits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 06:14 am:

I appreciate the spotless look of the rebuilt carburetors ... but personally prefer them not too shiny ... as if newish but been used for a couple of years.

In photograph conservation we often have to conserve daguerreotypes which being made on silver plates can tarnish over time ... typically from the outer edges inward. The blue iridescent tarnish ring around the image can be quite beautiful, but some collectors clean this off with a chemical treatment to make the plate look new again.

It's a little like the choice of restoring ... or maintaining a survivor car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Stan are there two types of U&J manifolds?, I bought one with my carbs and the intake portion is offset to the rear, the one shown is centered. Just curious!!

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Yes, early and late. On the later ones they moved the carb back slightly to better clear the generator.

Or the Bosch magneto conversion -- depending on who you believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 03:26 am:

Mark, I had Stan rebuild a Stromberg OF for my old "beater" '25 coupe. I requested that he just clean things up and not polish them as it would look way out of place. As usual, it was perfect! If he had polished everything, I would have to put it on display instead of installing it!:-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration