Saltflat racer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Saltflat racer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny york on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

trying to find the history of a 1927(cowl)/28 Ford body roadster raced on the saltflats found in sacramento that was narrowed to 30" for areo dynamics, a dr from england had it, its now in my barn here in indianapolis, but been trying to find the history does anybody from the 50 's remember this car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

Looks like a modern street rod. Not Model T related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

would not have a windshield, headlights or the fat tires. Would more likely have an enclosed engine. That front cone you can get at speedway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

I'm no David Hasselhoff, but this looks like a modern build with a bogus story to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 12:25 am:

Tyrone is 100% correct; a salt flats car would only have a small slanted windshield, the engine compartment would be covered for aerodynamics, and likely a cover over the passenger area with a single person seat. Salt flats is all about speed, not comfort, no tuck-n-roll bench seat for those folks! And no fakey knock-off spinner hubcaps either.
Yep, modern build, street rod with a fake story!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:08 am:

The car could have ran on the salt flats. They have different classes and tracks. They have a "run what you brung" class for regular street cars. I agree with the others that it is probably a modern build and a fake story (at least the 50s era part of it) but it could have been "on the salt" probably not likely, but it could have been. I have wanted to take my hot rod model A pickup and run it sometime, so I can have "bragging rights" to say it has been "on the salt" but it is in no way a car that can play with the "big boys" for the real speed...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 06:33 am:

Clayton ran his on the salt flats and posted pictures of it on a past forum but I can't find it.

Why can't some of you folks just try and help other people out with a question rather then jump down their throat on if their questions belong to this forum or not! They are only seeking information on one of the many resources available to EVERYONE today. Perhaps they do own old Fords too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 06:42 am:

Dennis,

It's a street rod. Lots of them are on eBay in similar condition. They have clubs and forums for that. If you like that sort of thing, go join a hot rod forum. It is not a matter of being disrespectful - the car is not what our club is about.

Again, nothing in the photo offers any evidence that the car is or ever was a salt flat racer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 07:09 am:

I meant no criticism with my response. But people can call a car anything they want if it means selling it. In this case just keep this in mind. Salt Flats is all about high speed. High speed is all about low drag. This car as it sits has drag all over it. I would list this car more a hot rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Kenny -- You might try asking about the car's history on the HAMB forum. There are lots of folks there who are knowledgeable about dry lakes cars. Good luck in your search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Just another butchered rodent thing with a garbage truck engine. Not dissed but what it actually is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Last year Don Lang showed me a his newly acquired T that was run on the salt flats. It still had a coating of salt on the bottom. I wish I had spent more time looking at it!

It would be great if he could post a few pictures and share the history with us. I think he shares ownership with his son.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Kenny, this is a hard group to be friends with.

Very critical at times.

My suggestion to document to the history of the car - From the original owner can they give you a certified statement on how they got the car? Review early speed magazines for period photographs example Hot Rod. The engine what year does the serial number indicate the manufacture date? Are their any indications of the car being inspected for a salt flat or related speed event? good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 09:13 am:

A correction the word their should be there.

Should read "Are there any indications of the car being inspected for a salt flat or related speed event?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

My apology Mr. Royce I forgot this forum revolves around you and what you want to discuss. Who cares if someone is asking a simple question trying to learn something. Do you wear a badge as you police this forum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Donnie is correct about they have many classes. I have a friend that holds the land speed record at the Flats for a WOOD powered vehicles. Yes I said WOOD powered. So that one pictured may have run there. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

I also suspect that this is a modern creation. The practice of putting 2 mis-matched bodies together to make one is a more recent trend, as good roadster bodies are getting harder and more expensive to find by the day. In the 50s, there would have been no reason to weld 2 bodies together when it was cheap and easy to find a good complete one.

It's fairly common-practice with the low-budget hotrod guys now to make a roadster body out of 2 or more other bodies. I was just looking at one yesterday with a Model A sedan cowl and a 26-27 T rear tub built from rough parts that restoration guys would have scrapped because they were too rough to save for a "stock" restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Hi Kenny and welcome to the forum. Looks like your hot rod would be a fun machine to take cruising and while it's not exactly my style, the point of any custom is to be what its owner wants it to be and I can see yours being a great start.

As for its history, I also have my doubts about its salt flat racing history but then again these cars can evolve over time so who knows? If I were you, I would go over to the HAMB forum and ask, those guys are far more interested in the style of car you have. Around here it's mostly about Model Ts that have only been modified in 1920s-correct ways, or hidden stuff for better longevity.

Good luck with your search. No matter what the outcome is, you'll still have a cool car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Well said, Tim. I don't read any of these posts as mean or harsh, just stating the facts as they
see them. By pointing out that it is/can still be a cool and fun car balances out what those who go
looking for an insult will find one in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

I kind of like the car. I would like to see more pictures of it! The narrowed to 30" has my interest. Chances are that it could have run "on the salt" back in the day. Some of the cars have seen many changes during their use, different engines ,transmissions, axles etc. It would have been built before running on the salt was a mega dollar proposition. A lot of the cars were eventually stripped of their running gear for a "newer" ride and the old body and frame left sitting or traded / sold. Frankly I love to see the backyard engineering that went into these cars, kind of makes building a stock "cookie cutter" restored T kind of boring. (There, I've said it, so start shoveling on the snide remarks!) I do agree the HAMB would be a good place to look for answers. Cool car, best of luck finding some information.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration