Speedster steering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster steering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Will moving steering bracket rearward 3/4 inch adversely affect steering geometry? I'm in the mock up stage and am able to make correct changes now rather than later :-) the only other change is in the front spring, a reversed main leaf is going to be used for slight lowering

(Message edited by David mazza on April 22, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 10:13 am:

No, the angle of the drag link wouldn't change much, so the steering would work just as good as before.
When the front wheels are pointing straight forward, the pitman arm is supposed to point straight down, but it isn't critical if it doesn't - just check the geometry between the pitman arm and the drag link when the steering is fully to the left so it can't go overcenter.

The length of the drag link was changed several times during production, so if the one you have isn't close you may find one from another year that fits better:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#scrod

There was a stop in the steering gear introduced in 1921, and earlier T's can sometimes get the pitman arm overcenter if there's a bump at the same time it's fully steered to the left at low speed, and that's a dangerous condition you'll want to avoid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 10:30 am:

I do have a few different drag links hopefully one will work. Also the gear box does have a stop and I have already replaced the pins and gears. That's good news, thanks, this is my first speedster and the other idea was adding some length to the column which would be more work than I thought necessary

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration