Denver Boot Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Denver Boot Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Hi

I was given an old denver boot (pic below) by a friend, mainly because it had been in a garage for years and locked with no key or identification.

Ultimately I will probably have to drill out the lock, but wondered if these were made lots of different companies and if it can be identified. being UK based my knowledge is limited.

What I can tell you

It has the markings n the inside 4 1/2 C, which I assume means it fits a tyre/wheel max width of 4 and a half inch.
Where the label/plate was two rivets but sadly gone.
looks as if it was red

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 10:19 am:

Before you drill, maybe take it to a locksmith to see if something less drastic can be done? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Hi Mark

I would do but unfortunately my 'friend' had already given it a go some time ago with a screwdriver by looks of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Looks like Security brand.

There were hundreds of types, check out this older post with pictures of collections.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/236497.html?1316398772

Best to leave it alone, with the damage done. If drilled out it will be badly damaged. At least a wall hanger now, and could be coupled with a 'story' of "how the cops put it on, and the owner tried to pry it off with a screwdriver" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:43 am:

I did not realise how many types! This one look like the security one but no shoulders, I will probably never know!

I have a very good machine shop locally, who very much enjoy a challenge, ( than their usual day to day work) The last job they did for me cost me a beer!

They reckon they can drill out the lock carefully, and mill a new internal leaver, without a lock so it can be demonstrated how it would work, current estimated costs chips and a beer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

I have one. Don't know what kind. No key also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

I recently picked a "Security Auto Theft Signal System" wheel lock.

It is a size D3 (embossed inside) and it is meant for a much larger car than a Model T. The inner diameter (width) is 5 1/2" and inner height is 7 1/2".

I don't have a key for it but it does have a Corbin lock so I think it should be pretty easy to have a locksmith cut one for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

If the person only enlarged the entry hole, and if the lock parts are not rusted a lot, a good lock smith can still articulate the tumblers and open the lock. They can also most likely make you a set if keys. The first one is more expensive but the second one is very reasonably priced.

I've had 2 keys made for different locks (1931 Model A outside door handle, and a coil box front cover lock. Both have worked great.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration