Shady Grove Service Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Shady Grove Service Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:29 am:

A Model T era service Station can't get much sweeter looking then this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

That was one of our day stops on last year's Can-Am Tour in B.C. last year - you ought to see the rest of this guy's collection - he has buildings full of "everything" !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Wow, the level of detail is amazing--even down to the drinking fountain on the side of the building. Only thing that would add to is is a separate outhouse building. There's the remains of a station in Dunsmuir, CA that still has the separate restrooms building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

What amazes me it the level of detail a person will go to, and then totally
disregard the overhead wiring and hang modern triplex and those ugly spool
brackets . Kinda like setting a Model T on a 75 Blazer 4x4 chassis and calling
it "restored" ! Do people just not see the wires/utilities ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

I wish it was on my property. Its perfect! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Burger,
You're right, most folks don't notice the utilities wiring. Yes, there should have been two or three separate wires (for three phase)going to the building. Oh well, the property power lines are just above that and no way could those be made to look period correct!
You would appreciate the Bidwell warehouses in Vina--built in the 1860s (not certain of the date, but some of the oldest buildings in this area). Fine brick structures with knob and tube 4 wire three phase running through them. A beautifully laid out, textbook install. We visited there some years back and I was studying the wiring. One of the workers asked "what's wrong--you an inspector?" "Nope, just admiring your wonderful wiring!" I got the funniest look back! Wish I'd taken a picture, probably didn't have the camera with me, or I would have!
Knob & Tube; done right, it's safer than Romex! Won't find a rat chewing through it, causing a short & a fire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Perhaps they don't have a choice on the overhead wiring. I have two service poles and meters. One at the front of the property and one to the rear. Each is within 100' from the property line because that's what is required. From each service/meter pole everything is underground but I didn't have much choice on the poles except maybe closer to the property line. If I did that, I'd have 400'+ runs for the mains.

I think there's also different rules for 3-phase underground mains. Like concrete overlay. Very expensive.

Wear a baseball cap. That shields the view of the wires. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 02:54 am:

Here's a few pictures of cars from the CanAm tour last year at the station
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Thanks Ken - I was trying to find my photos !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Very nice !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:30 am:

It's such a great looking old station that it's been copied as a railroad model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:38 am:

There must be a shade tree in the Shady Grove for the shade tree mechanic to work under to do the repairs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration