FJ - What is the tallest Model T or other vintage auto you have meaured ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FJ - What is the tallest Model T or other vintage auto you have meaured ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

I need feedback on real world height requirements.

What is the tallest Model T touring or other antique auto you have ever measured ?

These vintage spray trucks were around 88 inches tall - that is the highest vintage auto I have hauled in an enclosed trailer.

Just wondering if a 7 foot tall rear door would suffice ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

My wood body Pie Wagon was 7'2. Had to let air out of the tires to get in and out of garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

My 1912 depot hack is just over 85 inches. I have an eight foot high (inside) trailer and the door opening is 7'7". I wanted the eight foot inside so any movement of the vehicle ( I tie down the wheels) would not be a problem when driving over rough roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Jim,

My 25 Indiana is taller than the door on my 28 foot trailer but because of the ramp angle it goes in with very little clearance. I crossed my fingers and found out it fits forwards and backwards as long as the ramp door is low. I forget how tall it was but it was 83" or something close with air in the tires and the door was a little less. The beaver tail helps also.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Our 1906 Moline is eight feet tall but the top folds

Moline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

I just measured my '20 roadster today, would like to raise the third garage stall door up to accomodate it. It looked like it was right on 84", so a 7' door would barely do it. Too close for comfort there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

This is all very much needed - thank you all so much for posting.

I have an 8 foot clearance on my rear door - over 90% of the time it is not needed - now I know I have to keep a tall door just in case ....

I am trying to get my trailer manufacturer to build me a trailer with a minimum 8 foot rear opening
but install removable blocking for the last foot so I can have a 7 foot ramp door for 95% of my daily needs ..

An 8 foot door requires a separate electric winch mounted in the ceiling to handle the weight of a reinforced door
than can handle the heavy weight of some larger trucks I haul.

The tell me " it can't be done " ...

But they told me the same thing about my current trailer .... :-)

I just need to keep working on them I guess

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

TT box cabs measure out at 84".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 07:51 am:

An average '14 touring takes a full 7 ft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 08:08 am:

The '10 is pretty tall. Have not measured yet but I bet it is close to 8 feet with the top up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:48 am:

When we were at Don Boulton's collection in March, there was a Pierce Arrow Town Car that was HUGE. I can just reach an eight foot ceiling but was unable to touch the top of the Pierce, so it must have been over 96 inches high. That was surely the tallest car I have even seen, however the chances of me carrying one in a trailer are zero...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Hi Jim. I just measured my Yellowstone Bus. It is 95 1/2" with the top up. 74" with top down and windshield folded. FWIW. It looks to me like they were trying to keep vehicles under 8 feet in those days.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Hi Jim; If you are after a taller clearance for tall cars on your trailer just raise the door. Well, you said the manufacturer has a problem with that? Why don't they just install a standard tallest door they can and make a separate door for the balance of what height you need that opens separately just like the old stationwagons with two doors in the back or like a pickup with a campershell. You will rarely have to open it anyway but you will have the option as needed.
Don't get a headache thinking about it. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Frank,

My current custom enclosed car hauler has an 8 foot clearance w/ barn door set up.

I am always looking to improve.

A heavy duty ramp door suitable for larger vehicles I haul from time to time is maxed out at 7 feet w/ spring assist - going any taller requires a separate 12VDC winch motor that needs to be hung in the ceiling to assist with the door weight.

Again - I want to maintain a nominal 8 ft. opening - trying to get them to install a removable 12 inch block below the header for the 5% or less time I haul a vehicle taller than 7 feet.

As I suspected by the posts to date - I need the 8 ft. opening.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Freighter Jim,
Have you looked in to having an 8 ft. Aluminum heavy duty ramp door made? I bought my extra tall trailer custom made with what I want from Royal Cargo. They will make what you want. I worked directly with a factory sales person and saved a bunch. They make both steel and aluminum frame enclosed trailers. They had their local trailer dealer do the paper work/DMV with a temporary plate to get it home. Cost me an extra $150.00 for that effort which Royal Cargo does not handle.
Just thinking out side the box.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration