A Riveting Topic...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Riveting Topic...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 07:50 am:

I followed the instructions in the Axle Manual but still managed to shear off the driveshaft tube rivets while removing the bushing using the 15/16 socket method.

Should I attempt to replace the rivets or source another tube?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 08:50 am:

If the front of the tube is really loose, then yes. Test by placing a long bar in the radius rod holes and fix the tube and try to twist the end housing. Maybe you just 'trimmed' the rivet heads, if so that should be still OK. Your socket must have been rather big o.d.?

I've just used a small bushing driver mounted on a used steering column, knocks out the Babbitt bushing with a few whacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Dan, I think you mean steering SHAFT. A column wouldn't take much whacking ;<)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:53 am:

R.V.

You're right on the terminology, sometimes I get my parts mixed up. No wonder have problems putting them back together. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Take a shot at replacing the rivets. If it all works well and looks good then go with it. If doesn't work out then get another tube. I think next time use a smaller hammer. That bushing should come out pretty easy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration