I wish I was better at this stuff. Radiator id please.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I wish I was better at this stuff. Radiator id please.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

1924 couple. Why does the top inlet on the radiator not line up with the top outlet on the block? The inlet on the rad. is not the same angle as compared to the angle of the block outlet? Is the radiator not a 23-25 rad? I would take a photo but don't have a way to size it for the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Perhaps it's a low radiator. How about some measurements?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

core or the finned area is 18 1/2 tall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

All steel shell radiators use the same angle outlet on the head.
All the brass radiators us the same ( but different that steel) angle outlet on the head.
If you have the correct head outlet then your trouble is usually radiator mounting at the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

You beat me to it!
Correct head outlet.
What is under the radiator mounts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Your side view photo shows the feature of non-Ford style radiator. The wide side plate on the core, and the type of inlet. That would make for some fit issues.

The mounting hardware to the frame may be the issue. Some of those aftermarket radiator mount plates are troublesome.

True to spec Ford radiator will fill square up over the cylinder head outlet.

Brassworks, real spec Ford.

Brassworks, real spec Ford, note the upper inlet is just in line by being off-set to the Ford spec., as the cyl head outlet is just off set to match. (Note in photo how the radiator rod boss is centerline to hood, but the outlet is not.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Layden. Under the mount is the two spring two cup setup. However I,m thinking the springs seem flat.
The rad tank is brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Have you adjusted the hood rod so the hood fits to the radiator and cowl?
The radiator looks too far forward at the top.
Dan is right, some just never do fit really well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Layden, I had the rad was not adjusted at time of photos. I had it to where the front of the rad was pretty much straight up and down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Is it an after market rad? Should the front of the rad sit straight up and down or lean forward to more correct hose alignment? I have always had a problem with a water leak past the top hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Tyron-
Yes. That is a non-Ford aftermarket radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

Great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Tyrone,

You're putting the cart before the horse. Put the shell on and adjust the radiator position to make the hood fit correctly. Then worry about the hose alignment. You might find that the hose issue has disappeared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:11 am:

The shell should be put on and the hood set in place. The radiator should be aligned with the front edge of the hood. Then the rod adjusted to that position of the radiator. If the outlet and inlet are not close enough to install the stock hose, a flex hose could be installed.

When the frame, the body and the radiator are properly aligned, the hood will hang straight at both the back and the front edges. But in order to get all that to happen, you need a straight frame, the correct radiator, and good body with correctly fitting wood frame inside the body.

Unless you are going to completely restore the car or make it into a show car, just try to fit everything as well as you can and drive the car as is and enjoy it.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration