1918 Cell Phone?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1918 Cell Phone?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

Okay, now I've seen it all. First there was that lady talking on her cell phone in the 1928 Charlie Chaplin film, "The Circus..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIrpEMbQ2M

And now a dash mounted cell phone in a 1918 Model T Hack Truck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-/282013920754?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41a9 56edf2:g:t1IAAOSwJQdW-rw1&item=282013920754

I think they taught me all wrong in school, kept me in the dark, and then made me wait until 1998 before I could get my own cell phone. I was robbed. I coudda been texting pictures of cats wearing pajamas many, many years ago!

If somebody can explain this to me... I'm all ears... or better yet text me the answer from a cell phone like this one. Somebody on the forum must have one laying around in their garage 'cause I sure didn't see any for sale in Bakersfield!

Jerry in Burbank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Besides the "cell phone" I like the way someone bent the two outer foot pedals out at a angle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:17 am:

It was not uncommon for railroads to keep a "telephone set" on trains that came with a
pole to raise the connecting wires up to the line wires to patch the "mobile" phone into a
circuit. This was mostly used in emergent situations like wrecks, tracks blocked by slides,
etc.

Is this truck genuinely what it is portrayed as, and might that use have possibly made the
use of a phone as described above a practical reality ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:30 am:

1918? showing the later engine mount and a Amp gauge on the dash! do like the phone!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Maybe he has his cell phone connected through the telephone set on the dash using a Cobra PhoneLynx I used a candlestick phone with one at the Old Car Festival.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration