Free start whats the longest time sitting?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Free start whats the longest time sitting?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

how long can a car sit and still get a free start? my uncle says overnite

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

I have had it sit overnight and free start the next morning. Probably around 14 to 16 hours. Not real common, but it has happened...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

I know I left mine long enough to get a new battery when I hooked it up then turned on the switch Viola free start, so I know it is possible after 2 hrs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

One time, a number of years ago, my T had been sitting for about a week. I decided to drive it somewhere, slid behind the wheel and turned the key to Bat. It fired and ran. Scared the bejeezus out of me since it was the last thing in the world I was expecting. Only time that ever happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

I often get a free start after a couple of months, but I give it a couple of priming turns first, so I guess that's cheating. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Back in the 60's my dad parked his 23 T in the in laws shed over the winter, when he went to get it out he turned the key and is started, not bad after sitting all winter, a friend of his who used work for my dad had the same thing happen to him, but bad thing was he left it in high gear when parked, it started and ran into the back wall of the garage, oops.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

The first time I started the rip van winkle 1917, I got a free start. It had sat at least 2 and a half years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Does the engine condition i.e the compression etc effect how easy it will free start?
The reason I ask is my Coupe has a z head (90 psi)and never free starts, speedster has good compression with standard head running NH and will do it sometimes if its hot. My Depot hack is standard (Well used)& running a NH, I drive this one every day, I always hand crank it but this has never free started. About one in twenty starts it will splutter but has never fired up whether hot or cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

Weeks, months, even years. It is all about gas and a spark that causes a boom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

A loose motor has a better opportunity for a free start.
My original 1919 unrestored motor gave me a free start almost every time.
The rebuilt one dosen't know what a free start is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

I think what's most important is how you ended the last drive - if you retard the spark and let it idle for a few seconds before shutting off, it may be easier to get a free start the next time?
The position the engine happens to stop in should also have an effect.. If it's stopped so no coil buzzes when the ignition is turned on, then there won't be any free start.. But you may still try pulling the ignition lever down to see if it catches on when it starts to buzz?
Just remember to push it up again if it didn't start before trying with the crank or the starter..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Is the definition of free start "without priming?" If not, I often get a free start in cooler weather, (35-45 degrees) after I prime each cylinder once and sometimes one extra prime. That is a lot easier than having to crank several times when the oil is cold!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

I started my '11 the other day, I know it has been over a year since the previous. 4 primes, turned the key and it started right up. And that's with the original Jacobson Brandow coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

Come on guys.
I can crank my 14 t,with the key off, 3 or 4 times, then get a free start after a long time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

After two and a half years, I would find it hard to believe that there could be any gas left in the cylinders for a free start.
Priming an engine before a free start it does not matter how long it has been since it ran, it matters how long after it was primed before the ignition was turned on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration