Steering Gear Case Cover Issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steering Gear Case Cover Issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

The cover for my steering Gear cover keeps coming loose. During every drive it, backs off at least one fill rotation. I find myself continually checking it. It started loosening up a couple years ago.

I'm thinking about wrapping a few wraps of Teflon tape on the threads.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

There is supposed to be a small screw in the cover at the 12:00 position, locking it from unscrewing (scary if it does!)

(Message edited by Roger K on April 24, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/361424.html?1369460863

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Since I don't know the year of your car, the screw is a 6-32, round head slotted and isn't very long. If you have a later T, I would recommend stainless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

You may need to drill and tap a new hole. When put back on the cover usually shifts a bit from the original position. You do want that cover tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

It's a 26. I took a quick look and did not see a spot for a set screw. I'll have to look again in a few days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

Look for a small hole on top right near the rim. When you have the cover screwed on, you should find a tapped hole pretty close to that location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Here is the Ford Service book photo, the cover screw is item 'B'.

Page 178, in Section XXV Ford Service. Don't go in the garage without this book :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 07:32 am:

Perhaps the OP has an accessory locking steering wheel that was installed incorrectly. A Ford cover will have hole for the screw. The accessory covers will sometimes have a pin on the outer diameter or on the back side,

A spinning cover is a wreck looking for a place to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:35 am:

Dan thanks for the photo. I'll take a closer look. Last night I noticed a greasy spot that might coresponds to that area.

I have the stock steering wheel setup.

We moved less than two years ago and have not had a chance to get the shop setup, T stuff is still in boxes, including my manuals. The question is which box. Getting close to done with the DW's honey do list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Interesting illustration. I've never seen a cover installed in any other place except 12 O'clock. I'd love to have that tool. I usually use a thick piece of leather, and a huge pair of Channel Lock pliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:45 am:

A modern "strap" oil filter wrench works good in that situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald G Victory on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Thanks Jason and the others who filled he and I about that strange hole in the steering gear cap that oozes out grease after a long drive. I was about to whittle a matchstick to keep my car and hands clean, but now I have corrected it as Henry would have wanted. see photos

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration