OT - which car to take to Prom, the Ford or Chebby?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - which car to take to Prom, the Ford or Chebby?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

Our oldest daughter went to prom last night, and invited her cousin. My wife had the great idea of letting them drive her Corvette. Only catch, pics with the girls and car first.

Not to be outdone, I made the same offer, with our old Ford.

The Chebby:

The Ford:

Which car did they choose?

:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

What, neither of those gals had Dates for the Prom??
Well, with either sets of wheels, they'd certainly attract some attention! (Well, that and their obviously good looks, but then you already knew that!)
Still, the K's a lot more unusual than that plastic car. . .
Oh, but we know they chose that one as the K would muss up their hairdos!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

They would be attractive, regardless of which car they took, however, they wouldn't want the cars to steal all the attention from them, would they?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

The girls sure make that Chebby look Chabby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Nice looking girls! The cars are pretty nice too...

Which one is you daughter, Rob? I'm thinking it's the blonde, based on the video of her driving the K a few months ago.

Am I correct? Just wondering. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

David, the two cousins decided to have "drama proof" proms, so took each other to their respective school proms. I couldn't have been happier.....

Norm, your probably right. However they did seem quite pleased with the Chebby.

Lance, I agree..... :-)

Keith, yes blond, like mom. The one seen driving the K on video is our youngest. She was in Iowa playing in a club basketball tournament this weekend.

The dust has settled now, and the prom girl is back home. The youngest went 4-1 in the tournament, her team coming in 2nd.

To keep this somewhat Ford related, my wife took this pic after the girls left. Cleans up pretty good for an old Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

What girls?
Those two cars are really hot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Bob,
You've got some smart kids!!! (and cousins)
Still think the plastic car won because the K would muss up their attire!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

My daughter drove my 1929 26S Buick (rumble seat coupe) to her prom. She had her date inside and another couple in the rumble seat (since Buicks don't rumble they advertised that as a "dickey seat"). All went well until she came on a red light at the top of a hill. She was a new driver with a heavily loaded car, she set the brake and then whilst releasing it she came off the clutch and onto the throttle in a move to deeply impress any boy... Except she did it all with a bit too much confidence... stripping the keyway out of the right rear hub!

Dad had to come and get all 4 and deliver them to the dance... and pick them up afterwards. Those were four well behaved kids after prom, at least it looked that way from the chauffer's seat!

Th

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

I couldn't find a photo of prom night so I grabbed a quick one of the framed news article from when she got her license driving in the Buick. She even wore a period correct sailor suit dress she made herself!

Rob, can those girls hand crank the Ford? My daughter used to crank my T when she was 16-17... until it decided to kick back once... now she will do it, but only if she can't find someone else to crank! (Kickback was caused by some oil leaking into the timer and mixing with metal powder worn from the timer.)

I always wonder what a valet parking attendant would do with a car like the K. I once tried to see with my 1913 T mountain wagon. They asked me to leave it up front where they kept it on display until I came to pick it up later! I never found how they would deal with a car which had no starter.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 12:25 am:

Good looking girls and a fun night they will remember forever. I'm glad to see they didn't have to do the entire formal wear thing like so many proms require. I have bought a lot of prom dresses in the last 40+ years including one this year and I think it is pretty overblown most of the time with the Tuxes, floor length formals, hair and flowers and all that for a little dinky school in rural Montana. But the mothers seem to like it. I dunno. I just send her money or give her my credit card and keep my mouth shut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 12:34 am:

I think this is a funny story. Years ago I had a boy working for me who was the poster boy for dorky kid. Red hair, freckles, trip over his own feet, tended to stutter and very few other redeeming factors except he was a pretty good worker and liked cars. He worked for me all summer but couldn't work during the school year as his grades were pretty bad.

Along in the spring he showed up one night while we were working on my speedster and shuffled his feet and looked like he was working up to something. Finally I asked him what was on his mind. He said, "Say, if you're not going to the prom, I was wondering if I could take your T Bird convertible." I told him there was little chance I was going to the prom and he was welcome to use it -- but he had to bring his date out to the house so we could meet her and get some pictures. I thought to myself -- I'll bet she's a real winner. He showed up with a ffffiiiiiiinnnnnnneeeee looking girl that could have gone with anybody she chose. He looked about half treed with his red hair and black suit -- probably the first suit he had ever worn and it was rented and didn't fit. We took a bunch of pictures and off they went. He brought the T Bird back the next day full of gas and said he had a good time. About two or three years later he married her and they have about 6 or 7 kids and he is a maintenance supervisor for the Burlington Northern. I've always wondered what she saw in him that we had missed --- must have been something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 01:28 am:

Stan, when I went to high school we wore our Sunday Suit and the Girls wore nice dresses; yes, it was a small town, 200 kids in the whole school. Amazingly I actually had a date for both Jr. and Sr. prom (same girl, we lost track of each other about our senior year--she was from Mt. Shasta--the BIG school with about 300 kids!). Stretch limos?? We were lucky to borrow Dad's car! I was a geek before there were geeks & I was busy restoring my Model A (still have it).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Fred, c'mon, you're not that old..... :-)

David, the reality is, they wouldn't have risked windblown hair and messed up makeup. Besides, the Vette is pretty cool.

Terry, very nice. It sounds like your daughter really took to that Buick. My youngest tried to crank the K, but it was a no go. Bothe of them can crank the Ts and N.

My wife did crank the K once. I asked her if she would let me video her cranking it, and she refused.

This is her after the pics of the cars before the girls left. She's carrying her good camera:

Stan, we're lucky, this daughter is frugal. She found her dress on a clearance rack and was proud of it. Now our younger one is a different story......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

The vete is a cool prom ride. Lucky girls. My daughter went a few years ago in her boyfriends grandfathers 25 T. Really nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

My mother always told me that if you didn't have anything nice to say, don't say it.

However, I will say the Rob has some of the best looking cars and best looking ladies.

Thanks for the pics!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

Nice read

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

Rob---I was RIGHT!!! Ah, OK, that's my one (being right) for the year. . . .
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:48 am:

Rob, I'm pretty lucky, she isn't into clothes and fancy stuff like some of the high school girls are but like most girls, she likes to get fancy for the right time. This year, she ordered the dress from somewhere online, I don't know what it cost but I don't think it was all that much. I just gave her money and told her to get a dress.

Shopping is severely limited here because she is so far from the bigger towns that have stores and is so busy with sports she can't take a day to go to Bozeman and shop. She got her dress in the mail and it fit perfect. I also bought one for the girl across the street from her who might not have gone otherwise. It was a shorter length that she can wear for other things; Savanna's was floor length and one she probably wouldn't wear again unless it was to play for a fancy wedding or something like that. She is saving money for a car so the prom didn't cost much, just dress, shoes and hair. She's just a Sophomore so it wasn't a very big "date." It was just going to the prom with a friend from school.

I'll bet your girls had a ball!! They look like there were ready for some fun with Mom's Corvette, all spiffed up and out on the town. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Most proms end after dark, so coming home in the K might not have been an option.

Beautiful young women arriving in a hot car - they must have been the center of attention!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration