Question on truss rod fit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question on truss rod fit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

I have a question for those of you that have truss rods installed on your rear ends. When I install mine and it's tightened up I still can move the center saddle forward and back a bit. The saddle is touching the housing. When I am installing it and I have one clamp set on the housing and raise the other end to place it over the housing the saddle does touch the center section, so there is a bit of spring tension against the saddle. Taking out a bit of the angle of the saddle / arms does not seem to make a difference.

Is this the correct fit? Is it normal to be able to grab it and move it forward and back a bit? It seems like just because of the length of the rods that it may be normal. It does the same thing on both my '11 and my '15 (the '15 has a Ruckstell). The '15 housings have the bumps for the bolts, so the amount it could possibly move is small, but the '11 has a clam shell, so it's movement is really only limited by the amount the outside brackets will allow once they are tightened against the backing plates (one style clamps over the rivets, the other style clamps just outside of them)

I'm concerned with tightening it down too much; I don't want to distort the rear end by pulling the ends of the housing down, and it seems like if I just keep cranking on it that's what will happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 12:07 am:

R.V.
Sorry for the delay, I just got this fitted and took a few pictures. I don't have any pictures of the bare castings for the outside clamping mounts.

Gene; I tightened up a bit more and the outside clamps moved a little inward and settled against the rivets, then everything tightened up nicely. I really like this style of truss rod clamp; the only negative is you can't see when they are snug up against the rivets.

truss rod 1

truss rod 2

truss rod 3

truss rod 4

truss rod 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Thanks for the photos. It looks as though the center casting just sort of floats over the pumpkin seam at the center.

Here are the outer ends I have. It seems that they take a double rod. Looks like I'm going to have to fabricate some kind of center mount.

Anyone else have this type of truss rod setup, and could post a photo of the center section?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Here's a patent for a truss setup that takes two rods. Pretty neat.

http://www.google.com.na/patents/US1108812

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

Ya Gary, That truss is just added weight if it isn't snugged up with a little tension. You may have to check it after some driving and it settles in to a happy spot.
you shouldn't be able to move it by hand. Just like a Warford or Crankcase support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

I'll recheck it after driving a bit; it's definitely tight now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Hier are some pictures of a truss rot I made for a 1912.
Toon
0603R
0610R
0611R

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration