Above axle wishbone - thoughts...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Above axle wishbone - thoughts...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Huelsbeck on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Hi all, this spring's mini project is to address the worn radius ball on my 1914 wishbone. Looking around a little I found a replacement wishbone that has a perfect ball and looks like it might be NOS?

Not looking to discuss the safety issues of above/below axle wishbones here, rather is there any comments on the replacement I've found.

The brazing on the front ends seems quite sloppy. It may look like rust pitting in the picture, but its gold colored brazing.

Thought I'd ask if there's something I should be checking that I didn't think to check.....

The ball fits the new bronze cap perfectly. I'd like to use it to keep the correct era parts on the car.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Huelsbeck on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

a few more...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Nice pictures :-)
I'm not familiar with over the axle wishbones, though I think it looks like a beautiful quality Ford part.

Accessory braces doubling to the underside of the axle were common and should be possible to find if you like to be even more secure - there are also reproductions available from Lang's: https://www.modeltford.com/item/2733S.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

The brazing looks great for a production part. It was not suppose to be neat and pretty. Great find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

I agree; it looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Jerry, that is the earlier version of the wishbone, and a really nice one. Later, the ball forging had longer arms the same as the under axle versions. Yours has the short arms which go almost to the ball. I have no idea when the later type was introduced.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

I would recommend the brace. It is easy to install or un-install. If you wish to show the car and want it completely original, take it off, and then install again after the show.

With the wishbone above the axle, it is easier to bend the spring perch if you hit a pothole or a curb. This bend is usually in such a way as to push the axle backward which causes negative castor. Negative castor will cause the car to pull very hard to one side or the other. Sometimes the pull is so hard that you lose control of the steering wheel. Of course if that happens, you will want to repair it as soon as possible, but sometimes you will not have time to fix it before you have an accident.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Jerry-
I'd sure use it.
I would also suggest an accessory below the axle brace. I have then on both my pre-1919 cars.
: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

That's a nice part and hard to find in nos too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Measure the depth on the ball recess in the pan
If more then half diameter of the ball put a shim in
Otherwise the cap and ball will be loose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Huelsbeck on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the comments.

I think it will make a difference to have a solid tight fitting ball. I've also ordered new studs and spring kit.

Any recommendations on the accessory braces? Would like to keep it as minimal looking as possible. I've seen the bronze casting on Ebay that clamps on by the ball end, and uses later wishbone ends. That might be an option. Any other recommendations? If you have period braces, I'd love to see a pic of them.

Again, Thank you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Huelsbeck on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Roger - forgot to mention in the last post...

Anybody have the Lang's brace you referenced? Thoughts on it?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2733S.aspx

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Jerry

Here is an older post on the subject and one's experience with that vendor's brace.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/331538.html?1356985536

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration