Interesting tale, but.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Interesting tale, but.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NOS-set-of-model-T-ford-wheels-in-shipping-containe r-1920s-wooden-speedster-/351716676982?hash=item51e3f29576:g:RQ8AAOSwiYFXHUZ8&vx p=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

I am heading to Wi. very soon to pick up my 13 touring so anyone that wants to buy these wheels from ebay can maybe get them into my trailer for a ride south to Indiana. I would only want 10% of the sale price to haul them :-) (Just kidding)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Well, he's certainly proud of those! Very interesting, anyone know if that's actually period packing or just someone's way of storing them easily?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

spokes should be black if nos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

The wheel spokes were offered in natural too Clayton, if they were purchased separately from a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

It appears these wheels are demountable rims style, not correct for a 1913. Also it does not appear to have the rims or the mounting hardware.

So I think these wheels will require additional money spent to even get them on the ground. These demountable rims are 30x 3-1/2 for all 4.

1913 Model t 's had 30x 3 fronts and 30x3-1/2 on the rears. The fellows should be oval shape and non demountable rims.

If you bought the original 1913 advertised here a couple of weeks ago, to be authentic and correct, it should have non demountable's.

I can't tell for sure from the photos but it appears to me, the brake drum in the photo is for a 1926-27.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dysart - SoCal on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 01:37 am:

Hey brass,

The guy with the '13 was merely offering to help deliver the rims for a significant delivery fee, it doesn't appear that he had considered them for his car. It looks like everyone that has posted so far agrees that these wheels are '26/'27 versions with large drums.

If the advert is correct (and there's nothing obvious to dispute it), these are an interesting find for someone with a lot of disposable income...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:08 am:

These were at Hershey in 2009 for $700
val

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:49 am:

I think Ed and myself posted about the wheels about the same time.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/636806.html?1461561335

The wheels are natural finished accessory wheels for 1926-27 models as well as 1925 models with balloon tires. Here is a section from my Aug 5, 1928 parts catalog.

In my opinion they are exactly what they are advertised as. They are the
"smoking gun" of the natural wood wheel discussions. I was fairly sure that the crate was also correct, as the way they were delivered from the factory. The photo Charles posted above, makes me more convinced of the crate being correct. The dealer either ordered the natural wheels from the factory and changed them out for 1925 models and early improved models. But I believe later on in the Improved models they were being delivered from the factory with natural wheels. I can not find it now, but I remember seeing a letter to the dealers (dated sometime in 1927) stating the natural wheels were available on the cars and no longer needed to be changed out or natural wheels needed for stock. The price is too steep for me, but these are a very special set of wheels, and as I stated in the other thread, I hope whoever ends up with them, appreciates them for what they represent. Have fun and be safe, Donnie Brown .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Would be nice if they ended up in the Model T museum. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

I do a lot of painting as a course of my business, so the thought occurs to me ...

Might it have been that these were sold raw, as they stored better for an unknown period, where
a painted wheel would be subjected to unknown chipping, scuffing hazards in transit or storage ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

I don't think his price is that far off for a set of 4 new wheels.

I priced out all of the pieces from Lang's website for what it would take to build a set of new wheels equivalent to those besides the fellows since I don't think they are being reproduced.

New front hubs - $289.95 x 2
New rear hubs - $325 / pair
New brake drums - $65.95 x 2
New hub hardware - $31.55
New spokes. - $10.50 x 48
Total $1572.35

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Hmm, good point Ed, guess we're all just "cheapskates" and were considering "swap meet" prices, or the prices for rebuilding the parts we already have on hand. AND those are all NEW parts, not even "gently used" parts.
Burger, I don't think so, these wheels show signs of a clear finish on them, and the catalog shows "Natural finished" wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Ed, I agree about the price not be extremely out of range.. I also believe with every bit of my skills, knowledge, book learning, and just common sense and judgement, from years of messing with model Ts and buying and picking thru the years. That what we are looking at here, may very well be the last and only set of original natural finish wheels still in existence. I could be wrong and another set show up next week, but I highly doubt it. The finish is absolutely correct appearance for a set of wheels stored inside for the last aprox 80 years. The checking to the paint and the way the varnish has shrank and curdled is as it should be. The spoke tenons are pristine. And even though the argument about natural finish wheels is still going on, it is 100% for sure that 1925, and 26-27 Improved models could have had them. If I was to win the lottery tonight, I would buy them and save them for the museum. But that is not likely to happen either. :-) :-) OH well, have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

They just sold to someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

I didn't buy them and yes I know they are not for a 1913. I hope who ever bought them will not put them on a car and will keep them as they are for display. Some things are just too rare to use as intended.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration