NOS set of wheels on E-Bay with natural finish spokes.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: NOS set of wheels on E-Bay with natural finish spokes.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Here is something you will not see very often. They appear to be NOS... and they have the natural finish that was available for the Improved models in 26-27 and I believe also for 1925.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NOS-set-of-model-T-ford-wheels-in-shipping-containe r-1920s-wooden-speedster-/351716676982?hash=item51e3f29576:g:RQ8AAOSwiYFXHUZ8&vx p=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

You are right. They belong in a museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

The color of the spokes is a thing of beauty, and the shipping crate... WOW ... I would bet good money, that is how the dealers received them when ordering a set from the factory... Out of my budget range, but I would love to have them ... Hope whoever gets them, has a good appreciation of what they represent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 01:15 am:

So, you believe that is original crating. Neat stuff--don't know if it's as neat as the current owner thinks! Yes, those look like large drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:57 am:

David, here is a link to another thread about the wheels. There is a picture posted there of another crate and wheels like the one in this e-bay auction.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/636790.html?1461592157

That picture of another crate makes me more sure of that being the way they were delivered from the factory ...

Here is a copy of the "wheel section" from my Aug 1928 parts catalog showing the natural wheels for 1925 and also 1926-27 Improved Models ...

I believe these wheels are the "smoking gun: to the natural spoke wheel discussions. (for 1925 and 26-27 models only)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

Very cool, yes the other picture sure makes it look like original Ford crating. Now if someone would just give them to the Model T museum. . .
These are too nice to do anything with them but display them! They are only NOS once!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

I don't think they are N.O.S., because they should be dull black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Richard, Natural Finish spokes were available from Ford, look at the parts catalog page that Donnie posted. The appearance of the clear finish on those spokes looks about average for such a finish from that time period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

I bought a pair of N.O.s. square fellow wheels yrs ago that were a dull black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Richard. Natural finish was an option for 1925 with 21 inch balloon tires , and 1926-27 Improved models only. Everything else before 1925 all the way back to the early brass cars was black. Black was also the "standard" wood wheel color for 1925 and 1926-27. I agree with David about too nice to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

That make sense. Mine were 30x31/2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration