Ran my T out of oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ran my T out of oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 12:28 am:

About 200 yards from home My 25 roadster made that horrible noise and the engine died. This T still has cast iron pistons. I added 2 quarts of oil from my tool box and drove on home where I added two more quarts of oil. Then went for a 20 mile drive. You can't do that with Aluminum pistons.
P.S. Better Lucky than Good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 04:50 am:

Ouch, what happened? A sudden leak that got unnoticed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 07:54 am:

Accessory oil gauges come in handy sometimes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:07 am:

If nothing is rattling and knocking you are real lucky!
Was it hard to turn over after the engine died?

I guess the 20 mile drive means its OK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Dean
Thought u knew better. Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Takes a REAL man to admit that.

Take away lesson for all - bad things DO happen to everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:31 am:

I almost had that happen the first tour I went on with the club. I had driven all the way from my home in Alpine, to Vista where the tour began. That was about 50 miles. When I got there, the starter wouldn't work, so some of the members crank started the engine. I went on and the low band started slipping. It was then when I went to adjust the low band that I noticed the starter was hanging down. The bolts which held it to the hogs head were loose and oil was leaking out. I fixed those problems and continued. Then on the way home, I started thinking that maybe I would need to use the headlights for the last 10 miles or so. Well that didn't happen. I stopped for a signal and when I pushed the low pedal as the light turned green, there was a big bang and I went into free wheeling. There was a parking lot nearby. The car pushes very easily with a broken driveshaft. Good thing I had installed rocky mountain brakes before I took that tour.

After those experiences on my first club tour, I decided to do a complete restoration from wheels up. That car has since been very dependable.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:37 am:

That's almost as bad as (or maybe worse than) when I ran my 23 touring with an empty radiator last year. Got pretty toasty, but I lucked out too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Now I don't feel so bad....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

I had the bendix cover on mine come loose,... you wouldn't believe how much oil comes out of that hole!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Gonna have to start using a pre-flight checklist Dean!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

I've not had the misfortune of losing oil, but came close with no water.
On an interstate drive about eight years ago I could smell something burning. When I pulled over and had a look, there was the cylinder head glowing purple. It was a bit of a worry, being miles from anywhere with nothing but grass plains as far as one could see.
The radiator was original and had gradually been getting worse over the years I'd owned the car. It had simply boiled dry without me knowing.
So, I waited about 20 mins and very slowly refilled it. Luckily, no damage occurred with my unexpected attempt at driving an air cooled Model T - not even the head warped. The aluminium pistons I'd installed a few days before all survived. It does seem they are forgiving engines provided they have enough oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Roger, Guess I haven't checked the oil level for a while. Too many T's ?? No I'M going to get another one tomorrow.
Ed, I have one of those in a drawer some where.
John, Nothing knocking that wasn't before. I changed the oil today. Only band lint in the screen. No metal filings on magnet. Started easy with Oil.
Richard, YUP old fart deze.
Dave, Shit happens. It is always good to be Lucky.
Garnet, I usually check oil every tank of gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Great luck and it saved you some money too!! Or a lot of time and some money. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration