Removing 1926 Tudor windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Removing 1926 Tudor windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hugh Allen Harris on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:04 am:

I need to change the front windshield glass on my 26 Tudor to safety glass. The frame seems fused into the car. The bottom of the frame moves about an inch, but it doesn't turn on the hinge.The metal above seems to be bending instead. I've been soaking the hinge area (?) with WD40 to no avail. Is there a way I can replace the glass without removing the frame from the car? I'm afraid I'm going to damage the metal hinge and metal above the frame if I continue to try to loosen the hinge area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Try a mix of 50/50 acetone and ATF. WD 40 is a terrible penetrating oil. Be patient, it will take time. Do you have the piano hinge or the rolled hinge? If you have a loop on the windshield for a wiper, and the rolled hinge, you can't just slide it apart either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:37 am:

If your paint is good and needs protecting, you might ask Forum members for other suggestions. You don't want to use anything that is not "paint friendly".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:41 am:

I forgot to add; have you checked to see which type of hinge you have. some 26's had a 'piano' type hinge that came off with the frame after removing a few screws. Later 26 and 27 cars, used an interlocking hinge that allowed the windshield hinge to separate by sliding out to either side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

I would use PB Blaster across the hinge. Then clamp a straight piece of angle iron across the hinge. The angle iron will give the hinge more strength so you can work on it without damaging it. It would need to be well soaked with the PB Blaster and let it sit before you start wrestling with it. It should be mounted directly under the header. The windshield frame itself comes apart from the top hinge and has two screws on each side of the upper windshield frame that a tongue slides down inside the outer frames. So it would not be possible to replace the glass without removing the entire windshield. Hope this helps...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

In either case, the windshield needs to open to remove it. And you need to remove the windshield frame to replace the glass. There's a cap to the frame that holds the glass in. The glass slides into a U-frame then the cap is installed. Keep working to free the hinge. If it's the piano hinge type, I suspect you'll also have to drill the screws out along the top. This is an often neglected area that rarely sees lubrication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Ops! Don types faster. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

I just did this one. Its almost complete now and will be going home soon. Fun cars to work on but a bit cramped inside..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hugh Allen Harris on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

Thanks for the advice. I can't open the windshield far enough to look up inside. I can't tell what type of hinge I have. I'll keep soaking.

Hugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 01:56 am:

Hugh, you can tell without opening the windshield, look along the top, if it looks like a piano hinge (segments), that's what you have, if it's a smooth edge disappearing into the windshield frame, then it's the type you slide out. Here's a side view of that type, drawing not to scale nor really accurate--done by memory! But you can see the part the fastens to the body captures the frame.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration