How do you bend brass support rods for the windshield?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How do you bend brass support rods for the windshield?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

how do you bend brass support rods for the windshield? The original ones I have now I tried heating with a heat gun but not sure that is a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

You need the heat from a propane torch or something hotter to get the brass glowing a dull reddish color. You have to be careful not to get it too hot however so I usually do it in a darkened environment so it is easier to see when it is getting that reddish color. You then have to let it cool or you can quench it before it is ready to bend. Do not try to bend it when it is still hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Robert:

What year T are you making windshield stay rods for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

1912 touring. The previous repos were too short for the 12 but long enough for the previous 14 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

The rods I have now I think are original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

I would follow Val's advice. Once it has cooled, fill the tubing with a very fine sand or blasting glass beads and pack the sand tight and plug the ends. Then bend the tubing. The sand will keep the bended area from collapsing and give you a nice even look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Brass windshield radius rods are actually steel tubes inside a very thin-walled brass tube. In other words, they are steel tubes covered with a brass skin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

The originals have iron tubing inside the brass trim. They are quite difficult to bend. You would need to bend them red hot after annealing the brass first.

That being said I doubt that you have originals. They are pretty rare, and when you do find them, the brass is usually all puffed up from dissimilar metal corrosion between the iron and the brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Looks like Erik was typing while I was thinking the exact same thing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration