Carb float adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb float adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

I just replaced the modern ball style float vlave on my Holley Model G carburetor with the original style needle and seat and need to re-adjust the float level. Can anyone tell me how far, in inches, the float is supposed to be from the carb body when held upside down? Is it supposed to be perfectly level? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Scroll to the bottom of this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/5973.html?1202217700

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Hi Bill!!
Mine is adjusted at 1/4", but I would wait for Stan to chime in here. Huge difference in the "restarting" problem once the grose jet was replaced. Back to multiple "free-starts"! Hope you (and the rotator cuff) are feeling better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

There you go.. looks like 1/2"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Hey, Gary, thanks for the concern and glad your T is running as it should! I haven't done much driving, as you can imagine, but the PT on my shoulder is coming along and I'm finally able to tinker on the T. Finally got around to replacing the valve and needed to re-adjust the float and put the carb back on, but it sure feels good to have greasy hands again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Went through all of that myself. It does make a difference. Happy you're on the mend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

The Model T carb book lists the space between the float and carb body is 15/64 inch. I know it is only 0.015" but it could make a difference, I set with calipers to 0.235" and my NH usually runs OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Sorry I missed that the thread was about the G
I think the float material makes a difference, as I remember the cork float on the NH is 0.250" and a metal float 0.235".
Who said all Model ate are the same......

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration