NY Can I display my vintage plates?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: NY Can I display my vintage plates?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

I want to know if NY allows me to have the original 1923 plates on the Roadster (getting it in a week or two!), and I can keep the plates issued to it under the seat and show them if I ever get pulled over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Nope, you can't swap out displayed (registered)plates. But you can register the vintage plates to it. Check out DMV's website. I believe your insurance cards need to say Historical on them to register the plates.

One of these years i'll get around to doing mine.

https://dmv.ny.gov/apply-vintage-plates

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on April 25, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

I've read several times that NY doesn't allow YOM plates to be restored. But nobody has ever explained to me how they know whether a plate is restored or just very well preserved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 06:11 am:

Steve, it is kind of like trying to register a T without paper work in other states. It's all in the person doing the plate registration. I have heard numerous people that have so-so looking plates registering them and then getting them redone. I think it is silly myself, as long as the right colors are used per the year, I really don't see what the issue would be---maybe they know something I don't?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 07:24 am:

Matthew, I have registered original and restored vintage plates in NY many times. The best way to get it done with no issues is by mail. Fill out the forms and mail to Albany along with a photo of the plates. There is way less scrutiny by mail versus in person at your local DMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Put on your vintage plates and carry the new ones under the seat.

Better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 11:15 am:

When I lived in NY and tried to register YOM plates I was told they had to be original and in decent enough shape to be legible. My plates were just barely acceptable but I got them approved finally and then I immediately had them restored. Shows you how stupid the whole thing is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Unfortunately Dan, he would almost certainly get a ticket. It is no different than swapping plates on your daily driver. But I do get the tongue and cheek reference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Yeah, I've heard what Steve heard; that NY State will allow legible plates, but they must not be restored. _I think if more people knew about that, a lot more miraculously preserved plates would be in use. _Hey, I believe in miracles, don't you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Matthew,

Mr. Google (or is Mrs.? :-)) offers this reference:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T Thompson on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Matthew,

I have 1923 NY plates registered to my Touring... Only catch is the plates must be the same year as your car. I did register my car to Vintage Plates first.

I followed directions on link below... I took good color photo copies of both plates and mailed it in with form. No issues at all. I can't remember how long the turn around was.

I purchased my plates on Ebay.

I hope that helps!

Trevor

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration