Battery ground.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Battery ground.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David pringle on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

I've seen Ts listed as being negative ground and I've seen them listed as positive ground.Which way is it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

The original ground was negative. However, the battery can be connected with positive ground and the generator needs to be re-polarized for a positive ground. With an alternator, it could be either way depending on the particular alternator. If you are running a 6 volt battery with a T generator, it should be negative ground.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

All are Negative ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

I wonder how many times this subject has been on the forum? It has to be #1!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

It's easy to be confused for those who are used to 1928-55 Fords with positive ground and then starts working on a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

When you use a battery for ignition on a non starter T, I believe it can be a positive or negative ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

Sure, Darel. But you void Fords guarantee if you attach any battery in your pre generator Ford :-)

From the encyclopedia: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc12.htm
OCT 5 (1912) Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives
"The only equipment permitted to be attached to any Ford cars is a robe rail, a clock, and a tool box on the running board. No exhaust cut-outs, trunk racks, bumpers, batteries or other items mentioned in previous letters should be recommended or permitted to be put on Ford cars either by our branches or by our dealers; and, as previously noted, our guarantee will become void if devices of this sort are attached."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

That 104 year old statement from Ford clearly answers the question for the older T's but I wonder about vehicles made after October 5 1912.

Is it Ok to add a cell phone, GPS, water pump, crystal timer, or put unauthorized air in the tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

You may of course put whatever you like in your own car as long as it's reasonably safe - just trying to be funny here :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Anyone found one of these for the Model T, and in English? This appears to be for a particular Model A but my search is still on.....
Ford Gaurantee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Here's a thread on guarantees where Dan Treace posted a picture of what may have been a guarantee for a very early 1926 style car: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/100919.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration