Do You Actually Carry/Use A Model T Jack?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Do You Actually Carry/Use A Model T Jack?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

For practical and safety reasons do you carry and use a Model T Jack to change spare tires on the road? I generally travel alone and not in a group so having help is non existent. If the answer is "no" what type of Jack do you carry and find the most practical? Thanks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

I carry a small floor jack to actually change a tire. I carry the original just to have it in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

I carry a model T jack, hand pump, inner tube and to much other stuff to list. If my wife is along with her purse we might even have the kitchen sink with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Every one of my cars has a Model T jack in it and over the 40 some odd years of driving them I have changed/repaired more flats than I would care to talk about! Always chock your car before using a Model T jack. IMHO most flats happen when you pull over to the side of the road to let a modern car driver with an attitude pass you. YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

I have a Model T jack and use it all the time. I only lift one wheel at a time but I use it constantly. If I need two wheels up I use my mechanical Walker floor jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

When you hear a loud bang and your tire rolls off into a wheat field and disappears, that little screw jack is a mighty handy item to have along. I carry one and use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

I should add that it's nice to have two or three 2x6 blocks to use as a base on rough ground. You generally don't get to choose where you're going to have a flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

I always carry one but I have 2 extras in the shed.
They're really handy for lots of other jobs....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Flat tires are a part of driving a Model T. You need to have a T jack, tire irons, chocks, some patches, a way to pump the tire up and a sense of humor if you are going to drive a T by yourself. On tour with club members you will find that you will get a lot of help, and a photo of your troubles will end up in the local newsletter! T fellowship really doesn't get any better than this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:58 am:

Of course I carry and use a T jack, what else would I use? I also carry a couple of short pieces of 2x4 as wheel chocks and a square (6"x6") of plywood as a base for the jack if the car is on soft ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 04:06 am:

Yes. The late type made of laminated pressed steel is quicker and easier than a modern hydraulic or scissor jack. It's just right for my '26 Coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 06:01 am:

Yes, at the T-Centennial celebration at Ford World Headquarters, Ken Kennedy was kind enough to loan the jack from his Tudor so the lone Model A owner there could change his flat tire.

I've used mine on my T several times. I've also used it to steady the rear of my trailer when I loaded my car with my tow vehicle missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Yep, I carry one. Never needed it other than to show off at a car show. I let kids jack up a front wheel if they want. We have non-demountables on her Touring. The TT, although having demountables, has two different size tires, so I don't bother with spares on either one. Figure I'll call a tow truck if needed. My Model A has a spare, as do most 'modern' cars. I have a close approximation of a Model A 'ratchet' jack for it, but it doesn't work properly, so I carry a small hydraulic bottle jack in it. I've had one occasion to use it. Glad I had it. But perhaps a Model T jack would suit me better. At least it would be more period correct than a hydraulic bottle jack. I may pick up one at the next flea market for the A.

I'm a sucker for anything mechanical, and the more visible moving parts, the better. I love a Model T screw jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 08:06 am:

One thing about the model "T" screw jack it is dependable, and it never leaks! I had a small bottle jack under the seat in my Roadster/Pick-up one particularly hot day here in Florida at a car show I heard a "pop" from under the seat the oil had gotten hot and the fill plug had popped out... what a mess, I don't carry a bottle jack anymore :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 08:10 am:

It takes less space than all my modern jacks so it's a no brainer - of course it's in my car, and it has actually been used once for a flat tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 08:46 am:

Yes, I carry the Ford jack in the car along with a pair of wheel chocks. Works great!

Yes, I have used the Ford jack to change a flat tire on the T during a trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Don't know if I have a model T jack or not but i use it, labeled up as:

We Pratt mfg Chicago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 10:20 am:

I always use the T jack when changing a tube or a tire, and always carry one, along with a good working modern foot operated pump. It is well designed and easy to use.

See here:

http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/32845.html?1314150377

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 10:47 am:

I use my era correct jack (Ashland) all the time when working on the T. My bottle jacks are too big or too short and I have to stack blocks on the floor jack to reach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 10:50 am:

The TT jack is much larger and a bit cumbersome, but I have used it when working on the truck.

New tires. No flats yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 10:51 am:

I like the earlier screw jacks. I carry them in my Model T's and use them when necessary. However I am leery of the later type ratchet jacks. I haven't had a problem with one, but they just don't seem as safe to me.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Here's a good thread on jacks from january:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/600697.html?1452275353

Trent Boggess wrote: "There is an extensive file folder in the BFRC in Acc. 94: the Walter Fishleigh papers, on the press steel jacks. There was a discussion comparing the effectiveness of the pressed steel and screw type jacks when used to lift the rear axle of a loaded TT truck. It was acknowledged by the Ford engineers that owners would frequently load well over their 1 ton rating, often times as much as 2 tons of load.

Under a 2 ton load, a pressed steel jack jack would invariably fail, but a TT screw type jack would lift the axle. This suggests to me that the pressed steel jack was not an improvement over the screw type jack, merely cheaper."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:11 am:

I don't have a model T jack or I would carry it in the car.
It seems a lot of you fellows have extras so that's probably why I don't have one.
I carry and use a small 2 ton hydraulic jack, along w/a couple of pieces of 2X6.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:13 am:

They show up on Ebay often... :-)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0 .H0.Xmodel+t+jack.TRS0&_nkw=model+t+jack&_sacat=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Ford's TT jack is very similar to the Model T screw jack, but is larger and has a separate handle that is usually missing.

The TT jack is part #TT-3389-X and is sold with the handle for $1.75. If you lose the handle, part #TT-3391-X, you can buy it separately from your Ford dealer for 20˘.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Huge difference in prices on EBay for Model T jacks. Apparently using 30 seconds of a rattle can adds $50! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:48 am:

I have the early Buckeye jacks with Ford in block letters in my '13s, a common Ford jack for my '17, and the late pressed steel jack for my '25. I sure would like to know FOR A FACT what length jack they used in '25-27. I know some guys carry a flip top, which I also have, but is there any documentation they really used them? I know this subject has been around forever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

I have two jacks, a big hydraulic floor-jack that I use in the garage and a cute little Model T jack that I've yet to actually use. _Because my '15 has non-demountable rims, fixing a flat on the road would involve one heck of a nasty, strenuous task in the blazing summer sun and my disabled bod needs that like a helicopter needs an ejection seat. _My Hagerty's insurance policy includes 125 miles of flat-bed towing and I figure, in the event of a flat, it would easier to just phone for help and have them bring me and the car home where I could summon Jeeves and have him assign the tire-peeling task to one of the stableboys while I trifle with the upstairs scullery maid.

Okay, seriously; At the risk of jinxing myself, either I've been very lucky or just haven't done enough miles per year in the Flivver to expose those real skinny tire-targets to sharp hazards sufficient in number to cause the occasional flat. _Were that a problem, I'd have invested in a spare and maybe even the switch over to demountables (and I'd carry the cute little jack). _I do, however, remember a time of youth when it was necessary to change a flat on my '68 Buick stationwagon maybe once or twice a year—and for that matter, used to see several overheated cars pulled over with their hoods up every weekend, a rarity in the 21st Century—I guess cars and steel-belted radials are just better now than back in the days of leisure-suits, mood-rings and pet-rocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Bob, I have Hagerty service but plan, once again, to take the Model T out to Big Bend National Park and the Chihuahuan Desert. Little to no phone service out there and in the off season almost no other cars on the road. Will have the trailer at the ready but it may be miles away depending on the day and schedule.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Michael, your kind of serious touring is, to say the least, more demanding than the lunch-runs I do out here in the 'burbs, where the next service station is usually in sight of the previous. _For guys like you, who find themselves off the beaten path, same-size tires on demountables all around, at least one spare tire and a spare tube, along with the jack and tire-peeling tools would probably make for enhancement of peace of mind. _And if you do get a flat, the solution to your problem is only four lug-nuts away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

I have a Model T jack in every car and I use them. As long as the wheels are chocked front and back I find them to be very reliable, even when horsing a tire on and off on clincher rims. The worst part is pumping up the tire so I call AAA and they usually get there just as I have the new tire and tube on and I have them do the inflation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Bob, I set this late 1919 Touring up with demountable wheels and a spare on the back end just for long touring. Also a Z head and Stromberg OF carburetor. I do mostly putter around back roads here at home and have installed a large drum Ruckstell for the neighborhood. For me this is a perfect set up.1919 and 1931

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Steve should tie some string onto his tires so they are easier to retrieve !

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

The blowout was about the middle of May. I phoned the farmer and warned him the tire was somewhere in the wheat so he wouldn't run over it and jam his combine. When he cut the wheat in June he found the tire. I keep it as a reminder not to use sharp rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:31 am:

Ford's TT jack might be all that, but it ain't no Gilbert Hunt Co./Walla Walla, Washington
Territory jack ! I can superelevate the curves on my railroad, lift houses off wicked witches,
put boxcars back on the rails, or do just about anything with my TT. This is where the "Ford"
marked purist and I part ways.

Besides, when I went down to the Ford dealer, they said those part numbers didn't come
up on their computer, so I was "forced" to improvise ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:11 am:

With all this talk of T jacks I realized that although I carry one in my tool box but don't recall ever actually using it. I figured I better test it before Montana. Worked like a charm...of course. Thanks for the heads up :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration