Fraud Alert

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fraud Alert
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Quigley on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 09:34 am:

I was contacted by a seller in Texas claiming he had the part I needed. He insisted that I send the money via MoneyGram, a check or cashiers check was not acceptable. At one point he wanted $100 for shipping insurance, without confirming the shippers quote. Since sending the $100 for the part, I have received nothing. Beware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 09:45 am:

What's his name?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Sorry to hear of your loss. If I'm suspicious, I always ask a few detailed questions about the part that only someone who knows T parts would be able to answer. This isn't foolproof, as a crook could always do a little research and contact me later, but thieves are looking for a quick score and will seldom bother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Tom,

Deal only with a registered user and only thru the PM messaging system provided for initial contact.

Visit their User Profile to see when they joined

Avoid putting your email address and/or phone number member in a classified ad.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Sounds like one of those African scams. Scary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

This has been going on for over a year now . When I post a part needed add I get a email from some one in west Texas saying they have the part . The first time this happen I ask the sealer to email a picture of the part . The part was not even close to what I was looking for . Now I ignore his emails .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

I'm sorry you may have lost your money; BUT...You got taken by one of the most frequently used scams known to man. I'm surprised anyone still falls for that. A request to send cash via MoneyGram should have been your first clue to a scam. If the seller won't take a check (not unusual), you should have countered with a request for a PayPal payment, a bank transfer or Postal Money Order (only script that's good as cash). If they can't budge with the method to get your money, look elsewhere for the part.

Additional photos with specific angles of the part will usually send a scammer running. If someone actually has the part, taking a few extra pictures shouldn't be a problem. Especially if the transaction is $100 or more. Scammers will use pictures of parts taken from the internet so some image searches, by you, can also flag a scammer.

Another test is to ask for a physical address (No PO Box) and mail a note to the seller with a request for a signature. A few bucks spent on a Certified Mail Delivery will at least let you know it's a real person and could save you hundred$.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration