OT ? - What is This Tool For ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT ? - What is This Tool For ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 10:57 am:

I have seen two of these, slightly different. Many say "fence tool", but I am not buying it.
I spent my youth as the fence hand on the farm. Can't see how it would perform any function
on barbed or range wire applications.

Automotive ?

Barrel rim ?

Other ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Wire stretcher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:42 am:

No sale here either. If that's a wire stretcher, I want to see a demonstration of how it's supposed to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

I was thinking it's a strapping band splicer, but then realized it could not work the way I was thinking because once you crimped the bands together you would not be able to remove the tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

That a circumcision tool I believe :0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

I think Nicholas almost had it,......except I think when hooked over a somewhat loose fence wire, forcing the two wooden handles together would seem to put a short "kink" in the wire, thereby tending to TIGHTEN the wire,.....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

I don't buy the fence thing either. The center part would have to extend outward as the handles are pulled together. It's in a mid position as shown. Ideas? I don't have any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Oh yeah, Ed's idea is as good as any. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

Not a fence stretcher but some type of telephone or power line wire tool. But not for stretching cow country barbed wire. There is no gripping design that I can see. But not entirely sure!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

It's a saw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bernie glass on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

maybe it is a dehorner but not all there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Hook the hoots on barbwire pull handles together this pulls the wire about half way around d the post. Then tie a short wire from o e side tie the other. Take the tool off and you have a tight wire. Used it Manny times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

A tool to put the "rake" in the teeth of the saw?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

I'm pretty sure bernie is correct. It's a dehorning tool but missing the part that slices off the horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

I vote for Eugene Story. That makes the most sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 07:23 am:

When I de-horn, I just take out the two bolts that hold it to the firewall and remove the two wires going to the terminals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Good one Hal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Seriously guys, does anyone have any idea what that thing is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

When the handles are pulled together, the two "hooks" stay stationary, and the center piece moves up.

It looks to me like it would be a wire spoke straightening tool.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Eugene is correct. It is a barbwire crimping
tool. Used to tension the wire at the pole.
Pulling the handles together after hooking the wire
on each side of the pole extends the tensioner
against the pole and pulls the wire around the pole
above the tensioner. At this point you can put in
the wire holding clip (looks like a giant staple and
should be pointing angled down). Some wired the
two loops together behind the pole.
Keith...or does the center piece stay stationary
and everything else moves? Quantum theory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

The fence tool idea sound plausible, except both tools I have seen are FAR older than
T-bar fence posts, thus putting such an idea in the same file as the factory authorized
Model T celfone charger.

I wanted to toss this out for "fresh eyes" to contemplate untainted by my input. What
I have been told that best seems to fit it is a special tool for inserting/replacing fents in
roll-type snow fencing. It would stretch the wire just enough to insert a new wood fent.
Not sure I buy this either, and thusly go on looking for that one guy that knows perzackly
what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Burger,
No one mentioned T posts, I'm certain they're talking wooden posts,with this tool, square ones at that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:04 am:

Richard - Seems to me like Eugene answered this question pretty well. Said he'd used the tool many times for the purpose he described,.....that's good enough for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 07:57 am:

Perhaps you could contact the Barbed Wire Museum in Kansas? They might know.

http://www.rushcounty.org/barbedwiremuseum/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 08:11 am:

Maybe it is a Model T tool after all ...

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Harold, ... do you see the quarter in the photo ? I've never used wood posts as skinny as
that ! The first cow/horse to lean on it for that green grass beyond would snap them right off !

A T-post would size about right, but the period is wrong.

Perhaps Eugene could 'splain more of his ops ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Hmmm,......you're right! I failed to make the size comparison with the quarter. Yeah,....I guess more 'splain'n would be in order. Sure an interesting too though,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

"TOOL",....dang it! Not "too".....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Still looks like a dehorning tool less the cutter to me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Dang. The pictures didn't load...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Brian,
yeah, I can see where the cutter would go, and the flat piece we see must be the other end of the cutter, so you're probably right. I didn't think about the size comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

I failed to say that tool is to be used only on wood post. It was not a wire streTcher it is a wire tighter for a saggy fence where cows pushed against it the tool was put against the post upset the wire put the hooks on the wire pull the handles together. This pulls the wire about half wAY around the post. Then tie a short wire around the post to keep the wiretight that is pulled part wAY Round the post. You do not even ha e to pull the staple out and restaple it. It is a wonderful quick fix and works well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

I would sure like to see a short instructional video of that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 12:23 am:

I'm still stuck in the post diameter/size question too.
By the looks of things, the posts are 2 to 2-1/4 inches in diameter (round) or 2 X 2 square or so. Ya?
That sound about right Gene/Norman?

The de-horner I knew, on the wall of the grainery under the lean-to, was solidly affixed to the handles/gearing for best control I presume. ?

Garnet, LOVE that pic! Coolest thing I've seen in a quite some time! Perhaps better served on a model A? Hehehe! ;-)
Folks would actually recognize that as a sign to "keep hands off"! Far less people would've gotten ZAPPED?.....
Even "modern" people might liken it to a "razor wire" fence? :-)
Gotta see if my buddy would do that to his non dizzy'd TT. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration