Need Advice Converting Oil Stop Light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need Advice Converting Oil Stop Light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

And I'm not talking religion here!

Is there a two-contact socket that will fit into the oil lamp hole that the wick burner usually fits in? Not the place where it screws into the reservoir, but where the burner comes up into the lamp body. (Is this making sense?)

This is a fairly large hole and I'm trying to find something that will fit snugly into the hole as a ground.

I'm trying to convert the tail lamp to electric taillight, stop light and, turn signal for safety.

If anyone has done this, please post pics.

Once again, thank you in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Yes,I used to have the part number but that was long ago.If you take your lamp to almost any parts store they should find the one you need. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Use an original d.c. socket without the little arm on it, fits in font, run wire through where burner wick wheel was, we have the sockets, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

I just finished doing another one of these for a friend. Here's the socket, and here's the LED combination bulb that does stop, tail, and license plate lights.

The bulb is 12 volt. If you have a 6 volt system, just add one of these in the lamp circuit to make up the 12 volts. That's how mine is set up. If you're just doing the tail light, you'll only need to charge the battery once a season. If you add LED headlights and drive a lot at night, you'll need to charge the battery every month or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Robert, thanks!

Bruce, I'm using 12v. Do I have to use an LED bulb in that fixture? Did you have to drill holes in the floor of the lamp body on either side of where the font comes through?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

You might find some of these links helpful:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/601568.html?1452128381

http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/42655.html?1366738026

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/200689.html?1301411366

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Marty - you can use any 1157 dual filament bulb in that socket. One of the advantages of LEDs though, is their miniscule current draw. Because of that, you can use really tiny wires. I used #22 black hookup wire and brought the wires out the chimney. No holes and easy to hide.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration