Identify open car door hinge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Identify open car door hinge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Identify open car door hinge
my mind is hitting a blank spot today
I know the difference but hitting a blank
most hinges are v shape which year is this straight side hinge, Bob thinking late

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

1925?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

thank you, that is what I thought, getting old sucks, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

I'm not sure that's a 25 open car hinge. I was thinking the open car door hinges are v-shaped.

The open T hinges that are V- shaped 14 thru 25 according to the pics in Snyders catalogue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

John, sometimes the catalogs are wrong - or maybe they consider a replacement part that fits is good enough even if it doesn't look just right.

Here's a thread about the 1925 square or equal style hinges: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/114100.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

It's 1925 Same as on my 25 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

1925 used the equal length hinge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Interesting thread. After looking at Snyders, Langs and Macs catalogs all 3 show the V shaped hinge for 14-25 open T's.
As it appears somewhere down the line the more common V shaped hinge was considered into the 25 year by some folks.

They have been advertised for years that way and when you see them on Ebay sellers usually describe the V shaped hinge fitting 14-25.

This and a few other errors by the suppliers and vendors show up from time to time and this is another instance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:11 am:

The worst thing you can do is look at a vendors catalog to identify parts! Every T owner should have original or reprints of the parts books that are for the year of your car, and yes, the hinge above is for a '25. Not only is the hinge different, but the striker plate and door latch are different too, except they fit a 1924 also. Another difference on the hinge is the spacing for the screws is not the same either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:43 am:

I think they came out in late 24 when the balloon tires started, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Also the head on the hinge pins are different. For '25 the head is a flattened (not flat) oval head with a slight dimple. The earlier pins are much higher and smoothly rounded, sort of halfway between a round and a truss head.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration