Brass rear axle thrust washers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brass rear axle thrust washers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

I took the rear axle out of my new 1916 touring to replace the thrust washers and found brass ones! This is a very low mileage original car. Everything was cotter pined and safety wired, all the bolts were stuck in place with years of grime. There is no indication it's ever been apart. Anyone ever heard of original brass thrust washers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Yes, no idea where (assembly plants)/when they were used, but I've heard of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Yes, they were made out of bronze for about a year, the records were changed 3-2-15 to bronze (from "semi steel") and then 3-11-16 to "steel and babbitt" but that wasn't the first or last time those poor washers were changed, see this thread on Trent's research: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/585529.html?1447242043

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Thanks Roger, the record of change coresponds exactly to the washers in my rear axle. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:11 am:

My 16 coupelet had bronze thrust washers in the differential when I took it apart but I cannot confirm if they are original. Build date for my 16 was November of 1915.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration