How Often Should Bearing Clearance Be Checked?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How Often Should Bearing Clearance Be Checked?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

If a Model T engine is maintained on a regular basis, changing the oil every 500 miles, what is the normal mileage at which one should check the engine bearing clearances?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:14 am:

You don't have to check them - they'll tell you loud and clear when it's time for tightening :-)

(the fourth main will tell you with ever increasing puddles of oil after a drive..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Roger, With maintenence I generally don't wait until something makes a noise or any damage is done. Just wondering if those that put on a lot of miles have a ball park number where checking bearing clearance is prudent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I've driven my Fordor maybe 25,000 miles and have never removed a shim. Checked it once several years ago and it was still at .0015, just where it was when rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:20 am:

I have just removed my engine for it's annual check. My main and rod bearings are 0.002" to 0.003". I drive my 1926 TuDor around 5000 miles a year and change the oil between 1000 and 1500 miles. Last year coming home from the Michigan Jamboree I heard a new noise that I thought was a rod, but turned out to be a triple gear bushing. I'm not very good at analyzing engine noises, but I do know a bad bearing or bushing when I see one, so I look more often. You probably don't have to check too often, but it can't hurt to look once in while, (every other year?) it's not a difficult job. Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration