OT - where is/was "Lake George," New Mexico?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - where is/was "Lake George," New Mexico?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:38 am:

I'm chasing down a travel story, and the end of the drive in 1909 is "Lake George, New Mexico." Google searches keep taking me to "Lake George," New York. Does anyone have an idea where Lake George NM is, or may have been?
Thank you for any leads,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:43 am:

I found a Lake George in MN, but not in NM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:45 am:

I think you are looking for Lake George, Utah.?
It is near Arizona.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:02 am:

Could be??????

I'm trying to trace another long early Ford trip. The problem is finding the "Lake George, NM" from the article:

(Message edited by Rob on April 28, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:34 am:

Is the "Las Vegas" paper from the little burg of such name in N.M. ? This may give some clue
as to the vicinity of Lake George.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:36 am:

The people of Roswell saws the light from Mr. Kitle's motor car and so the story got it's start! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 07:20 am:

Look up the artist Georgia O'Kiefe who did many paintings at Lake George in New Mexico. They mention in some articles it is by Prospect Mountain. If I knew how to attach the link I would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 07:27 am:

I may stand corrected...The article with Georgia O'Keife talks about her traveling between Lake George Ny and New Mexico

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 07:47 am:

Rob
Maybe
Lake George CO 80827

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 08:55 am:

The article says they're going from here (Las Vegas) to Santa Rosa, then Torrance, then Roswell. In other words, they're headed south in stages of (very roughly) a hundred miles. I think that rules out Colorado, Utah, or anyplace outside New Mexico. My guess is that Lake George is near Roswell and has been renamed or has vanished. Modern transportation has redistributed population and wiped out many little towns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Burger, I had not thought of that. After checking, it is indeed Las Vegas NM, not NV. Below is the front page heading. One of the lead stories is about a Grizzly attack, in NM.

Mark, :-)

Denny, yes, almost all the google hits were for Georgia O'keef, NM, and Lake George, New York...... :-(

Kirk, that's my guess now.....

Steve, an interesting journey. And it took nine days to complete the first leg due to "heavy roads and deep water in many arroyos."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Just shows what better roads can do! Only 17 hours instead of nine days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Maybe the saying in the day should have been:
It's not just a trip, it's an adventure.

Could have been worse, they could have encountered the Grizzly......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:18 am:

For those not familiar with this territory, "arroyos", or "washes" as I knew them growing up,
are a very regular part of the landscape there, due to the steep terrain, arid landscape, and
sudden flash floods that sweep down from the higher elevations in these "arroyos" and wipe
out pretty much anything in their path.

When dry, they often make for the easiest path of travel, because of the smoothed out river
bed they create. But the hazard remains of a storm far out of sight in the mountains sending
torrents downstream upon the unwary, and the common "cliff" walls of the arroyo allowing no
escape from the rushing muck.

The point raised about the trip being about the adventure ..... is this not the way it is supposed
the be ? If this is a question for anyone with a T, perhaps it is time to read Pirsig again ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:47 am:

The New York scenes in the Lifetime movie about Georgia O'Keeffe were filmed in downtown Las Vegas, NM

Las Vegas once was the largest city in NM. It has some very awesome old homes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Pirsig?

Kirk, thank you for the info. Originally I thought of Las Vegas NV. That is an awesome looking home. Was mining or ranching the main industry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Yes, Pirsig. Mandatory reading for anyone such the loon as to enjoy old cars as we do.

"Ask not, Phadrus, what is new. Ask, what is GOOD".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

I also see from the paper that the Mauritania had beat her best time yet across the Atlantic.
She held the Blue Riband for most of her career.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Rob
I have heard that commerce via the Old Santa Fe Trail and the Railroad were the main reasons for the growth of the town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

I don't know about then but there's a large number of feeder lots and slaughter houses in Northern New Mexico now. Judging by the odor, they've been there a long time.

As a side note; I wonder what Raton Pass looked like back then. Couldn't have been more than a wide trail. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 06:38 am:

My parent's home is in Ruidoso, NM (right along the Kitle & Bliss route). No one had heard of a Lake George having been in NM. My suspicion is that since the paper was in Las Vegas, NM the reporter accidentally type's NM instead of NY.

There were several households of "Kitle" living in upstate New York from early-1700s through 1920s including a "Jeremie Kitle" who resided in Marble-Towne, NY in July 1728 (now Marbletown) a mere 120 miles south of Lake George, NY. Perhaps "J. G". was a great-grandson.

Maybe you could double check with The State Records Center and Archives, Office of the State Historian in Santa Fe 505-476-9782 or the State Parks Office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 06:55 am:

If you have ever been interviewed for an article, most if not all reporters hear what they think they hear. Misquotes and mistakes abound. Think start a story in a classroom, when it gets back to you, is it different? Same thing....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:32 am:

My suspicion is that it is "Lake George, Colorado" (final point on the map above), and that the reporter, editor or typesetter just accidentally put "NM" in the story instead of CO.

Thanks all for your input, information and posts. I bet it was a rugged trip for an automobile in 1909.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration