Perch / wishbone fit?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Perch / wishbone fit?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Huelsbeck on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:58 am:

Hi,
Working my way through the 1914 front axle.

What kind of fit is proper for the above axle wishbone and perch? If you can easily remove the wishbone is the perch worn? Should it be a tight fit?

Is there a bushing, and if so replaceable?

I know the perches set the castor. Is that achieved through the hole in the perch and the wishbone shaft, or by tightening the nut on the wishbone, and having the shoulder on the wishbone draw tight on the face of the perch?

Trying to figure out if my perch is normal, or if I need to find replacements?
(all ready searched the archives, and haven't found anything yet)

Hope this makes sense...

Thank you,
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Is this car a driver or a points car? Ford did away with the "above the axle wishbone" for safety reasons. Many have been converted to below the axle wishbone. You should get more comments on that.

As far as caster, that is set by the spring perches alone. There is a left and right spring perch. The angle of the perch stud sets the caster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Huelsbeck on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:19 am:

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the reply .... I'm trying to determine what a good fit is between the perch and wishbone connection. Is it a tight press fit that you should have trouble getting apart, or can you easily remove/install the wishbone in the perches?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Jerry, it's not a press fit. It is a neat fit, as is the perch in the axle, but both can end up rusting together and causing headaches when removing them.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Jerry,

I don't believe it was ever meant to be a press fit, but, it should be a close fit. I wouldn't want to see more than .005 clearance between the wishbone stud diameter and the hole in the perch. I don't know what Ford considered good.

I guess you could use a steel shim if you had to, however, realize that this is a very critical area and is a matter of overall safety, as Ken points out. Just tightening the nut really well is not a substitute for a good fit with the wishbone. You might also consider adding a lower support brace, available from the suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Jerry H. I, too, have a 14 and it's a driver. I put the double wishbone on mine. Sure makes the front end seem a lot sturdier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Huelsbeck on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Thanks guys....

Trying to figure out the best plan of action. I've found a "like new" wishbone with a perfect ball. I then found out the perch holes are slightly worn, so the wishbone isn't a snug fit in the perch.

I was thinking that a combination of the "like new" wishbone and the support braces under the axle would tighten it up?

The other option would be to replace the perchs with the newer style and find a later under axle wishbone......

Or try and find some good early style perchs (and add the support brace) But I'm guessing there's not many good ones lying around????

Any opinions welcome...
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

The over the axle wishbone in combination with braces under the axle will be much stronger than both the original setup and a more modern under the axle wishbone - even if the perch holes are a little sloppy. They won't have any chance to work loose with an additional brace (and tightened cotter pinned nuts)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration