Old Photo -Couple In A Early Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo -Couple In A Early Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Looks like a Model N. Wonder what kind of wheels with a felloe bolt between every spoke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Thomas, I was curious about the wheels too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Here's an earlier thread discussing the same type of wheels that were used on early Model N and Model K cars in 1906. They are called plain clinchers but that type of tire from Goodyear was soon out and regular clinchers took over the market for the next 20 years..

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/606290.html?1453402074

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Thanks, Rodger! Memory has become a fleeting thing, but at least my socks match today :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Thread drift-

Jay, recently my wife and I were on a cruise. I get up early, she doesn't. One morning after dressing in a pretty dark room I headed out for coffee. As I walked in a well lit area I noticed that I had on one black shoe and one brown shoe. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Henry glad to see I have company!

Thought Id share this here since were drifting.

We keep the dry cat food in a 2 quart jar and also keep the coffee beans to grind in a two quart jar side by side in the pantry. One morning I got up grabbed the cat food jar and feed the cat. The cat looked at the bowl and meowed at me several times. I looked closely at the bowl and I had filled it with coffee beans! At least I didn't grab the cat food and grind and brew it....yuck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:21 am:

So long as you don't wear black socks with sandals, you're OK with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Henry when something like that happens usually before you notice it some smart alec will see you and say "Dressed yourself this morning, didn't you?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Herb,

Truth be told, a young lady did notice and giggle at the same time I noticed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Henry,

When that happens to me I just tell them that I have another pair just like these at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Great picture Jay. Very neat old car. The couple looks to be proud of their ride. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Those tires are called "Fisk Detachable" and a lot of cars used them, Autocar for one. These don't look like clinchers at all to me, but rather a single tube type, which were fairly outdated by 1906. I did not know that Ford used those at all, even the earlier Models, A. C. etc in era pictures, are seen with clinchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 12:09 am:

On closer examination those are definitely Midgeley steel spoked wheels, which commonly used Fisk detachable tires. I am going to guess those were an aftermarket addition to this car, I have never seen any Midgeley steel wheels on a Ford product before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 01:14 am:

Rob, might want to come in on this one. The picture below is his Model N. early in it's life.(NOTE THE WHEELS )

Regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Not Midgely, but definitely the same as our N had (has, with holes in the fellow plugged, and clincher rims added). The problem, as of the 1925 picture of our car at a Ford dealership, was that this style of tire was not available, according to the article that accompanied the photo in the local newspaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Rob, are those wheels steel or wood? Best, Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 11:51 am:

I have a real nice pair of front hubs for a NRS with the 5 inch size as pictured in the photos. They are availble only for trade on a nice pair of rear hubs for a 1910 T straight axle with 5 1/2 size for my 1910 T. II know this should be in the classified, but this is a nice opportunity to get the word out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Jeff, wood.

A few more Ford's with the same wheels. The first is the Model N displayed at the NY auto show Ford booth in January, 1906:

Meanwhile, the N used outside as a demonstrator had the other commonly seen wheel:

Henry Ford at his farm outside Detroit, with a 1906 Model K and the first style rim:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Interesting, I just have never seen any photos before of Fords with Fisk detachable tires, but obviously some of the early ones came fitted with them. All except the top photo are clincher type, but that one is obviously a single tube style, which threw me. Those were more commonly seen on light cars such as single cylinder Olds and Norhterns of the pre- 1904 era. Odd to be found on a larger car and as late as 1906. Best, Jeff

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration