Old Photo Postcard - No Jack Necessary For A FORD

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo Postcard - No Jack Necessary For A FORD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:47 am:

That's Bob holding the car up, Jack wasn't able to make the trip. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

Sure looks like both front wheels are off the ground, those guys were tough and strong. I wonder if they just forgot a jack or couldn't afford one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Remember those picture postcards with the Western jackalope on it? Same jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Note the 1915 style rear fender on the 1914 Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Did the same thing with my '41 Ford when I was in high school. Had a flat on the right front and had a spare but no jack. Leaned the spare against the car, right behind the flat tire. Popped the hub cap, loosened the lug nuts then 3 or 4 buddies held the car up while I changed the tire. Don't recall ever having a jack. Guess they weren't as strong as the guy in the picture above, but that method does work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

I think it is a joke photo. The jack cleverly hidden in the angles of the picture behind the wheel and tire. Why do I think this? Because I have jacked enough model Ts on the frame to know how much the front end drops down if done that way. Lifted in the manner shown would hang the front axle low enough to not help much with the tire at all.

Nice catch Erik J!! We can only wonder if the car left the factory like that ? Or was it a soon after change?
Great photo regardless!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

I recently familiarized myself with just how much the transmission innards weigh.

Methinks there is some "funny business at hand here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 01:14 am:

1915 style front fenders too, 1914's don't have a lip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:09 am:

Do you suppose a jack is hiding behind the legs of the person holding the car up?

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 03:42 am:

Exaggeration postcards were popular back in those days :-)

big fish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 07:05 am:

Whaaaaaaat? You mean it's not real?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 10:25 am:

quote:

Do you suppose a jack is hiding behind the legs of the person holding the car up?

My psychic told me you'd say that, Bob.

http://tinyurl.com/hkwag8m

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration