Evan R Cork Trust auction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Evan R Cork Trust auction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa cork on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Link to sale bill and auction site.

http://allenauctionandrealestate.com/lg-2-day-auction-evin-r-cork-trust-outstand ing-sale-of-high-quality-unusual-items/

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2701114&kwd=Evan%20cork&zi p=47933&category=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

"Running two rings at all times" Gee, how nice, not one but two--two auctions at once!! Doubles your buying experience! NOT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

That's ok if what u want isn't in both rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Sure does not seem to be much area for parking in Wallace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Parking may be a problem,as the two areas are 1/2 mile apart. Best bring a friend to cover your Butt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Reminder that the auction is this coming Saturday and Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:40 am:

The 1911 torpedo appears to not have any actual 1911 parts visible in the photos.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2701114/fp8.cgi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Would much rather have two rings rather than standing around for hours while they auction off $1 box lots of worn out parts.

From the looks of it, that's the only way to get through all the stuff in one weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I've been to several auctions that have run two or even three rings at a time. Just get two or three numbers and take a friend or two with you that knows what your looking for and the value. Works for me.

In fact last Friday I went to an auction that was running two rings and they started at 8:00 am I finally left at 5:30 pm and they still had two more buildings to get to. That should have been a minimum of a two day auction. They lost a lot of bidders by 4:00 pm. Too long too hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 04:02 am:

As far as I'm concerned, if they have to run two rings at once, they should have had two auctions. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:47 am:

Depending on what you're selling, you can run multiple rings with no issues. But that only works when you have enough different items that each ring isn't basically selling identical lots. If they could sort it out, which it doesn't look like they have sufficiently, they could have one ring selling nothing but engine and transmissions, while the other sells front and rear axles, etc.

The problem with sales like this is there's so much overlap you have to have someone very knowledgeable in the items going to the sale with you. If not, you'll have to run back and forth to make sure you get everything you want.

Not trying to run down the auction company. Just my observations on auctions. I'd still like to go see it and possibly buy some parts, but I can't afford the time or money involved at this particular time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:12 am:

It would be interesting to get a basic understanding of the "business" of auctions. A lot of things they do don't make too much sense. Selling in two rings is something I don't understand. If you were selling Ag equipment and the auction crowd was 200 farmers, each interested in one or two pieces of equipment, it would work fine. If you were selling antique store junk to 200 re-sellers, it would work fine because everything would go for its average auction price. When you sell 100 year old automobiles, parts, & related items, it is different. There might be 400 bidders at this auction. Other than "car buyers" the average bidder might buy $200 worth of stuff. Maybe 15 bidders will be doing 80% of the buying... I won't be going to this one because even though there is some really good stuff, I would only get to attend half the auction and that is less worth-while from a business standpoint when I factor in all my other costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Royce,I assume you are making reference to the vehicle in the picture you posted the link to?? In one way you are correct, It does not have any 1911 parts on it because it is listed in the auction as a 1913 Speedster!If you look through the full inventory of the auction you will find there is actually a very nice 1911 Torpedo Runabout in the auction. It is listed as having all the correct 1911 parts and an original Torpedo body. I would be very happy to have it in my garage and would love to go to the auction and see all that rare stuff. It will be interesting to see what prices all the T stuff brings. I hope a forum member goes to the auction and gives us all a full report.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:07 am:

Here is the link to the Hemmings add for the Torpedo. Also the other cars are listed and featured as well.http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/model-t/1829827.html
Both the 1914 Tourings look nice and I would also like the 26 Coupe with the flathead v8 in it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

good auction so far.
a
I did not buy the bell but it is neat
bell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

Dean,

I wish I had known that was you at that end of the table buying that stuff.

We have seen Jack and Kenny and a lot of people I see at most T auctions in this area. I even picked up a few things but so far have not needed the trailer to haul it home. Back seat is not even full yet and only some wheels in the bed. I hope tomorrow will be better.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:20 am:

What did the cars bring??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

"What did the cars bring?"....my guess it was people. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Do those complaining about running 2 rings also not go to swap meets because someone else might buy something before you see it? That seems like a silly argument to me, and as a buyer I would see it as an opportunity to get things for better prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

What did the pan jig bring? Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Brian Jordan on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

$4,100.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

A lot more than he paid for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

It did not look complete. Was it? Or were the parts homemade? Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

I saw this guy buying stuff and he must have run out of money cause he couldn't get a motel and had to sleep under a tree. At least I didn't have to bid against him while he was here.

As for the pan jig, it was over $4000 and sold late in the day on Sunday. The cars were sold over the two days and I wrote down the selling prices but can only find the list from Sat. right now so I will post the brass cars later when I find the list if no body else has them.

23 coupe sold for 11,000
20 coupe sold for 7,000
23 4 door black car 9,500
27 4 door gray car 10,500
27 TT 8,750
26 coupe with V8 went for 11,000

From memory on the Sunday sales and don't trust my mind to far but here is what I think I remember,

Torpedo bid up to 25,000 but they wanted 35,000 and it didn't sell.

14 touring I think went for 16,500 or so but will need to check the list if I find it.

13 touring with the 14 body was around 15,000 but don't quote me here either, could be a little more or less but that's ballpark.

26 roadster went for $8,500 and was not bad but was no show car. My wife wanted the 26 roadster until she saw it and then decided not to bid because of the condition and the attitude of the people running the auction. Some people were nice while others were so rude we almost went home by noon the first day. I saw almost nothing worth bidding on the morning we got there and wanted to see the items listed and the cars but they had everything locked in a building and would not let anyone see anything.

We came home with a few things but more shelves for the pole barn than model T parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

I slept under that tree better than I did in the motel.
Good thing I had Joshua to drive us home.
Long two days but got lots of goodies.
Should have bid higher on some items I returned home with 200 dollars not spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Bob, did you get the 4th mains?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Rip Van Winkle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

sleep
more auction
The camping oven lower right pat 1909

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

"attitude of the people running the auction. Some people were nice while others were so rude we almost went home by noon the first day. I saw almost nothing worth bidding on the morning we got there and wanted to see the items listed and the cars but they had everything locked in a building and would not let anyone see anything."

WOW! They wouldn't get away with that in Montana. Are you guys coming to this one??

http://frontrangeauctions.com/WILSON_414.php Probably not, it's a long way for most people for no more Model T stuff than there is. Lots of cool stuff, tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

He's a Model K Mechanician.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:09 am:

Dan, Some parts on the pan Jig were home made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:22 am:

Thanks Bob for the auction summary. Lots of Model T fun to be had for around 10K. If I lived over your way I would have a barn full of T's! Interesting that the Torpedo only went to 25K! Is a nice early T only valued at that at the moment? Cant believe the price of that pan jig!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Derek, I think people were complaining because there was a lack of organization. Running two rings is easier when you group like parts together. At least that's my experience in working and attending auctions. I'm not trying to bad-mouth the estate or the auction company. Sometimes it just happens that way when you are asked to handle such a large collection. If you're like me and don't have anyone who knows T parts who can go with you, you'll wonder what's selling in the other ring because you can't be at two places at once.

I wish I could have gone. My budget (I know, who does that anymore?) wouldn't allow it. But I'm guessing there were several deals and several overpriced items, as it is in any auction scenario. Still looks like a fun time. I hope more auctions like this come up in the future, preferably while the owner is still around to see it sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Dean - You must use Model T jacks in place of jack stands! I see no less than six of them in your photo,.....??? ( ; o )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

The 1911 torpedo,didn't sell. The reserve was set to high and the car had @50%wrong parts on it.The family is going to reacess it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

It depends on what you are selling in the second ring. Selling household antiques in one ring while the other ring is working their way through the scrap yard up on the hill. Why not? Selling horse tack in one ring and wagons in another? Stupid! Selling tools and shop equipment in one ring and furniture in another? Why not?

Selling Model T parts in one ring and Model T parts in another? Some people thrive on a special kind of stupid. I've been to auctions where they were doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Stan,I keep thinking i'll see you on Machinery Pete one of these days! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Thanks Bud, I don't have TV so I'm not up on Machinery Pete but I keep hearing about him. Maybe one of these days I can catch him some where. He is actually going to be in Montana at an Ophus auction in a couple weeks. Or maybe already was. Ophus is up in farm country where they sell big tractors and high dollar machinery so I think he's more interested in that over what I can get for a cute little Farmall Cub and a few old cars.

Ophus and I work two different sides of the street, he is a big high powered operation with two or three sons working with him, all new equipment and a wife that runs the office, etc. He gets most of the big farm sales up in the Havre area where a little piddly field of grain is bigger than the biggest farms here. He is also a real estate agent, sells equipment, has some kind of dealership for buildings and panels, etc. His is the kind of auction and operation Machinery Pete is looking for, not mine. But thanks for thinking we could be on there.

My horn doesn't blow as loud as some people in this business blow theirs. I'm just happy to still be in the business after 34 years, have 410 happy sellers and almost all happy buyers. God himself couldn't please some people but we try.

I'm about done. I'm getting old and most of the guys that used to work for me are old or have died, I don't have anybody to take over the business so I think in a couple years I will just fold my tent and let some young ambitious guy try to make a living at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

Harold , I had choice at $10 only took 6.though that was enough

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Dean,thanks for comming up to me and introducing yourself.It was fun meeting you and Josh. I think you got a heck of a buy on the main bearing rig. It was a long two days,and would have been more enjoyable if Auctioneer had known what the heck he was doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 12:05 am:

Probably hired the low bidder, Jack. Lower percentage commission is not necessarily the highest return. Bet you've seen that a few times.

People will go to a Doctor and pay several hundred dollars because he has experience but they don't want an auctioneer with 30 or 40 years of experience to make fifty cents for his knowledge and his ability to draw a crowd.

Might not be the deal here but I will guarantee you there are auctioneers in Indiana that would have known what most of that was and where to find the people with money that wanted it. Not cheap, just good.

I lost an auction last fall because I was about 4% higher than some woman out of South Dakota -- the one that screams her way through the auction. I would have got them $145-150,000 out of their tractor collection, she got them $68,000. But she only charged them 6 percent and I wanted 10. Just look at all the money they saved. Only had to pay her a little over $4000 and I would have got $14, 500. Guess they showed me!!!!

She drew a huge crowd, almost 70 people - mostly just the local geezers who didn't have anything to do that day - because they didn't need to advertise locally, she had internet and absentee bidding and brought all those big dog bidders from Iowa and Indiana to buy 50 barely collectible tractors. Oh, they didn't show up. Well, too bad, can't make anybody come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Stan, I've noticed that about the auction business. Some people don't shop around, and thus don't get the right person for the job. But it could also be that the auctioneer was a friend of the family and they wanted to do business with a friend.

One of my professors in college shared with me a link to an antique tractor auction a few years back. I think the sale was in Colorado. Probably 30 tractors or less, mostly common models of common brands, but the auctioneer said he'd never seen so many antique tractors in one place before. I guess he'd never heard of Aumann Auctions or Mecum's Gone Farmin' sales.

There was one tractor there I would have bid on had I known it was selling. A Rumely Do-All. I sent the auctioneer an email saying I was curious as to what it brought, as I like to know what such tractors are selling for. Never got a response. Guess I'll never know, until the next one sells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:59 am:

The guy who had this auction is the president of Summit Banks, a chain of small banks in farm and ranch country in Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota. He, of course, wants everyone to do business locally -- support your local home town, all that - but when he got ready to have an auction he passed over every auctioneer who does business with him and supports his banking operations and is a local small business man who probably also owns a ranch or other business and brought in the big shot from Sioux Falls to insult the local bidders and tell them where the Bear leaves a pile in the forest. That didn't help the auction either, as a lot of local people wouldn't go. They barely advertised in Montana because she was going to bring in all the high powered monied collectors from Iowa and the midwest where there is no end of money and no end of collectors willing to drive a couple thousand miles to buy mediocre quality, not very rare tractors for unrealistically high prices. To be fair, the bloom is off the tractor collector Rose and they did hold to their "no reserve" statement and sold them all for what they brought. There were several there I'd liked to have had for my collection, especially a little Oliver 30 crawler, all nicely restored (he bought it restored for about $4000) that sold for $1300 but I wouldn't go support the auction or him after he wasted a day of my time having me drive 500 miles to look at it just so he could tell me nobody in Montana was qualified to do the auction, including me, Shobe, Musser, Pate, Knipkamp, etc., who combined have 100 auctions a year and have probably 25,000 people on our mailing lists and know most of them by name. WE are the biggest companies in Montana and any one of us could have sold the auction and got good money out of what he had. I could not have been happier when it flopped. His big shot from out of state didn't have much to say on her web site about it after the auction. Neither did he, so I hear.

There is a lot of money here. Even with oil at $45.00 my tractor collector brother in law can write a check for any tractor he wants for his collection, my sister has a few, every one of my nephews and nieces have at least half a dozen or so and if one of the Montana auctioneers had done the auction they would have all been there along with lots of other collectors. My brother in law's Christmas present for the last 50 years from my sister has been a new pair of John Deere suspenders. They hold up the size 56 J C Penny blue jeans he wears. He jokes he has to have them to hold up all the money he carries in them. It's not all a joke and he is a piker in the tractor collector crowd. It wasn't that there wasn't money enough in Montana to buy those tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Many years ago when i was still hobby farming i wanted a packer i saw on a local sale.When i asked Bubba the owners son about the packer he said i didn't have enough money to buy it! He was right!! After that i did not go! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration