T-era porcelain "Ford" sign

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: T-era porcelain "Ford" sign
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

I recently bought this old Ford sign to hang on the garage. It's in poor condition, but I intend to hang it outside and I didn't want anything extremely valuable that would be appealing to thieves... and I can't afford what they get for nice ones anyway. :-)

I believe it would be from sometime between 1922 and 1927 based on the Lincoln and Fordson names on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Love it! Looks like someone had fun peppering it at some point. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

It might just entice the local "patriots" to put a few more bullet holes in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

I wish they made reproductions of that sign. Would love to have one. Real ones in good shape are way beyond my pocket book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Nice patina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Look up Jersey Gas pumps vintage signs. This guy has a good history of Ford signs. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

What a great sign. I would like to have one like that for my garage too!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Nice score. I had one of the Pegasus signs from 1936 on the wall in my old shop. I lost it as part of a divorce. I enjoyed owning it and wish I still had it. Old porcelain signs usually have a few stories to tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

I have porcelain Mobil and Buick signs that I got a good deal
On that we're bruised and I just cleaned up the porcelain
And cleaned the rust areas matched up the colors and painted
The areas with a good quality oil based paint .
They are out in the elements 24/7 and have lasted several
Years .it makes a bargain sign look top notch I think you will
be happy with the results Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I have a rather large round Packard parts sign that was given to me by a friend who had to dig up his septic system. The sign was used to cover a branch line box!! It's discolored on one side, and a bit scratched on the other, but it's cool & has a great story!
I also have my Dad's pre WWII Chevron Dealer sign, with a big bend (and loss of porcelain) in the middle---he used it in the 50s to scrap dirt, so bent it 90 degrees. Before he passed he told me he wished he hadn't done that, but at the time it was "just handy."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

I bought this one at Hershey years ago for 100.00. It hangs over my shop door. I got the neon oval from the late Fred Lau. It came from the Ford dealer in Port Angeles, WA. It's double sided neon, about 8' long

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration