Worn gizmo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Worn gizmo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Since I don't know the proper name for this "gizmo" I'll call it a throttle quadrant. Anyway, as you can see, it's pretty worn and the throttle handle won't stay in position when up. I'd welcome suggestions on a repair. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

I WOULD USE A TRIANGULAR FILE...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

The bottom of the lever also becomes flattened. I have built them up by adding a little bit of welding and filed to shape.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

Look at the springs at the bottom of the steering column. They may have lost their strength over the years. You can also take a saw file and cut the notches deeper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Thanks. All that makes sense to me. I like simple and I appreciate the help. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

I second the file idea. It would all give definition to the individual lines/notches again. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

John-
After you do the repairs, be sure to pull the spark and throttle lever up toward you when you advance and retard them so they won't wear like this.

Same goes for the brake handle. Squeeze the handle and don't let it make the ratchet sound.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

LOL ... my late father use to love the "ping" his pocket watch made when he pushed the cover closed ... until one day it didn't close or make a sound.

Cost him about $100 for a goldsmith to build up the lip on the cover edge so that it would close again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I really enjoy and appreciate all the good help on the forum. This afternoon I began the process of taking the car apart, getting it ready for a paint job so I won't be messin' with the throttle and spark for a few weeks. I'll post a before and after when that's done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3524-25T.aspx

or this.

never used one, but makes sense it would work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration