Ford's first pick-ups??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford's first pick-ups??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Is this trivia true? "Ford, who made the first pick-up trucks, shipped them to dealers in crates that the new owners had to assemble using the crates as the beds of the trucks. The new owners had to go to the dealers to get them, thus they had to "pick-up" the trucks."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

I dunno about back in those years. Mine is a '25 roadster pick up. I had to assemble the pu box on the frame after removing the turtle deck. I suspect many current owners have the same story. My box floor is southern hard pine. My research showed this type of wood was original in '25 but it certainly did not come from Michigan's U P .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

NO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

Darel, I'm told I'm a man of few words. . . Do you mean"No" as in it isn't true? or "No" I hope it isn't true?

BTW: Snopes has no information on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

The first T pickup sold by Ford was in 25, these had a metal box. Before then you would buy a roadster and remove the turtle deck and make your own box to install in it's place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

I heard that the transmissions came in boxes already drilled to make them into floorboards. Stories will be told and listeners will repeat them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

Ross

That's a story. Fiction.

Ford's '25 metal bed was factory built complete. Parts and Price book for body parts lists the part numbers for the bed boards if a dealer needed to replace parts.

The bed was sold as option or was sold on the runabout bodied chassis as pickup.

Origin of term pickup for a small hauling bedded truck is unknown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Didn't Ford make floor boards out of Kingsford charcoal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Instigator !! :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

The story I heard that might or might not be true, but if it is, might have lead to the pick up story. During WWI, Henry Ford, an isolationist, refused to sell Model T's to the US military. He finally sold 2500 Model T chassis's after the US entered the war under the provision that they be used for ambulances only.
A french ambulance body was shipped to the US for Ford to reverse engineer. But, some early Model T's shipped to France used the shipping crates for the ambulance body.

True? Fact? Fiction? Ask Paul Harvey, I don't know.

Some WWI Model T's that some might consider a pick up, long before 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

This little pickup carries the Ford Motor Company 1914 Michigan Manufacturers Plate on it, 5005M.

You see that plate on other factory photographs.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Robert.

Well I know part of that story is true as it's documented in the
'Ford Times, Special war issue'
Ambulance bodies being made from the packing crates in France.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 12:25 am:

When Ford introduced his factory pickup in March of 1925, it was assembled at the factory as such, for two months, until the government decided to put a tax on them. After that, the boxes were sold at the dealers, and the dealer or buyer could install them. I guess this carried over into 1926-7? 1925 pickup box trivia: The bed strips were only used in 1925 as originally designed, until they found out that after installing them the bed strip bolts were higher than the bed strips! In 1926 they redesigned them to the type that were used in all pickups until they stopped putting wood bottoms in the beds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 06:55 am:

The truth be known Henry's FIRST pick-up was Clara! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 07:20 am:

" The term pickup is of unknown origin. It was used by Studebaker in 1913 and by the 1930s pick-up (hyphenated) had become the standard term.[5] "

@ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_truck

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 08:29 am:

So Dennis. That was before 1925. Are you saying Clara used to be a "runabout" ? :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration