Russ Potter rebuild Kingston vaporizer on eBay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Russ Potter rebuild Kingston vaporizer on eBay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

I noticed this thing for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-T-FORD-KINGSTON-REGENERATOR-REBUILT-/222091868097? hash=item33b5b4f7c1:g:HL4AAOSwgk1XFmNf&vxp=mtr

I've got a Russ Potter rebuild Kingston B-1 Gasifier, just like this, on my 27 tudor. It is an outstanding carburetor, and they are not commonly available. I have not tested it on a dynamometer, but I swear it produces more horse power than an NH, instant acceleration, and easy starting, while it is a legitimate factory substitute for a disappointing Holley or Ford vaporizer.

I believe they were installed on Fords near end of production in 1927. Mr. Ford was considering it for the new Model A. (In fact, the patent drawing of this carburetor was obviously for the Model A engine.) He had it installed on some Model Ts, getting a large-scale field test for free and expecting good or bad feedback from customers. He ultimately rejected it as being too expensive and too complicated, and bought the Zenith-1 for the Model A.

The choke mechanism is completely different from the Holley. To choke, fuel is sprayed directly into the top of the intake structure from a brass nozzle, where it falls downhill into the intake ports. The choke is adjusted using a second needle valve. There is no throttle plate. Instead, the entire Venturi is rotated in the mixer chamber. There is no sheet metal vaporizer plate. It is the only Ford carburetor with a factory installed air filter. It uses a shallow pool of oil in a cup, with the air distributed across it and up the intake through small peripheral holes. The user is expected to replenish the oil on a weekly basis.

There is another example, the Kingston B Regenerator. It is very similar to the B-1, but is built with fewer parts, which may have been a modification to please Mr. Ford. The B was sold directly by Kingston after Model T production stopped, and it is unclear whether any Kingston B carburetors were ever installed at the factory. Dealers were encouraged only to keep spares for the B-1.

I recommend it to anyone with an Improved Car who wants an authentic vaporizer without the possible disadvantages of a common vaporizer.

Cheers,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland, Mn on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

This is the vaporizer on my very late (last two weeks production) '27 Tudor that I recently sold. Which manufacturer made this one? I assumed it was Ford. First T I ever had with a vaporizer. At any rate my car sure started easy and ran very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland, Mn on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

This is the vaporizer on my very late (last two weeks production) '27 Tudor that I recently sold. Which manufacturer made this one? I assumed it was Ford. First T I ever had with a vaporizer. At any rate my car sure started easy and ran very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 08:05 am:

Jeff,

That's definitely either a Holley or a Ford vaporizer. It is identifiable by the brass plate riveted onto the vaporizer cover. The two types are almost identical, with some minor internal differences.

I'm glad you experienced easy starting with that carburetor. In general, reviews are mixed, and some of us have reported a hard cold start and a somewhat disappointing general performance. The rumors of deteriorating fuel quality from the oil refineries in 1925 did not quite materialize as Ford had planned for.

The pathway for enriched choking vapor in the Ford/Holley vaporizer is long and torturous, and it can take more than one vacuum pulse to finally deliver vapor to the cylinders. A cold vaporizer plate becomes a condensation plate, wiping out a puff of vapor in the middle of its journey to the intake manifold. In the Kingston variation, the enriched vapor has only to make it through a corridor with a circular cross section. It is injected directly into the intake, and does not rout through the Venturi. Both carburetors have switches on the choke-plate shaft to control the air fractions of choke and running vapors.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland, Mn on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Thank You for the explanation. I, like many others, did not understand the vaporizer so the easy solution was to change over to the NH. After having had this one on my car, I would prefer the vaporizer on an Improved Ford if it was originally equipped that way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration