Grease cups

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Grease cups
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

I have 5 Model T,s so lots of grease cups to fill. This is my solution to make things faster. Rather than tapping and installing grease zerks in each fitting, I made these. Take the grease cups off, install these ,pump grease in then replace the originals.grease cupsgrease cups

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Did you have to tap the grease cup cap? Or just drill and screw in the zirc fitting.
Is there clearance on all the grease cups to do this and have access with a small grease gun?

This might be something I consider prior to priming and painting current project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

I'm not knocking it + whatever works for you but the stalks that the cover screws in to can easily be tapped out to 1/8" NPT, usually with no drilling required. You then screw in a 1/8" zerk and the cap fits over perfectly hiding all. I'm only chiming in here because you have to remove the original cap in either case. Not sure if this works for 4th main cap but I'd just leave that zerk cap you made on it all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Jim's solution uses only three caps and three zerks compared to the larger number of zerks required to cover every location on five Model Ts.

Just goes to show there are multiple ways to get the job done! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

I did drill and tap but the metal is thin enough that you might find a drill size to drill and then screw in the zerks. With my 5 cars it would mean removing all grease fittings to tap and then pay close to 75 cents for each zerk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Jim, that is one very clever idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Keppler on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

what year cars are these grease cups on, I have a 24 touring and it has zerk fittings everywhere

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Go Langs and get the grease cups with the zerk already built into 'em. They have 'em in both the large and small size. Going to a points show...put the original ones back in. Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Doug, as far as I know, no Model Ts came from the factory with zerk fittings. A lot of us add them because we have grease guns and it makes it easier to add grease with the zerk fitting.

To use the original grease cups, you unscrew the cap, fill the cap with grease, then screw the cap down, which forces the grease into the bearing or whatever cavity the grease cup is there for. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Keppler on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

that explains it, thanks Mark!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Why bother?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 05:31 am:

Doug, if the spindle bolts has zerks instead of an oil cup at the top, I think it's best to install a second zerk by the middle of the spindle body, to get some grease to the lower bushing too. With oil it'll run there with gravity, not so with grease. See this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/383043.html?1377323402

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 08:54 am:

The beauty of the org Ford cups is you fill them,run them all the way down,and refill to be used where ever and when ever your T needs grease!!It is very easy and espc the fan bushing where you need just a little!Remember those hubcaps are not hubcaps but grease cups!! My question is do you pack your front wheels the hard way or the easy way?? How do you do a perfect job of packing a ball bearing?? Did everyone have a grease gun in 1909? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Here's a grease cup setup that is spring loaded. It lets you meter how much grease your forcing in by clicking each turn before you bottom out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration