Four Wheel Drum Style Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Four Wheel Drum Style Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

I am currently building a 27 Lake Style roadster. The car will be fenderless and the frame lowered approximately three inches in the rear and four inches up front. The engine build is in progress and will utilize a SCAT 1.590 stroked and counterbalanced crankshaft, SCAT rods, KC Warford as well as our RAJO cylinder head . Because of the increased performance capabilities, I would like to incorporate four wheel drum brakes into the build. I there anyone available to manufacture / fabricate such a setup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Wasn't Les Schubert making front brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

He was. Not sure Les ever completed the project. Les?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

If not, find yourself a set of Nash Metropolitan brakes, They are easily adapted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Metropolitan brakes were adapted to a T. I think I may have a set stored away. I will have to go look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

Beta testing has been going on for a while.... :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/222472.html?1310482319

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

I heard the Metropolitan brakes are difficult to find replacement parts for. I was hoping to use something that would utilize common replacement parts.

I considered using a new Model A drum brake kit and changing the front axle to Model A for added overall strength (spindles, king pins, etc.) but, the dropped Model A front axle is quite a bit narrower width wise than the T. I am open for any and all options. Utilizing "period correct" parts is not as important to me as overall safety.

I'm not a huge fan of disc brakes as they just don't look quite right on a model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Mark,
Thanks for the link to the post. That is exactly what I would like for this project utilizing a hydraulic system. How about it Les? When will the kit be available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Mark,

Disk brakes are the best but I agree that they don't look right to me on a fender-less T. Metro brake parts are still available and/or reproduced from a few parts houses that specialize in them.

Metro fronts are pretty easy to adapt but of course the front axle requires serious re-enforcement. Rears are a bit more of a pain (for me) to adapt but quite a few folks have done it. I'm currently using 56 Mercury drums on the rear with 11" mixed Ford stuff from the mid 50's. The bolt pattern on the Mercury drums is right for T wire wheels and the depth of the drum works nicely (I did have to use longer lugs and some spacers between the hub and drum though). Made my own backing plates and a few bits but most of the stuff is pretty readily available 11" Ford stuff. I just stayed early enough to avoid self adjusting linkage. The cross bar between the shoes for the emergency brake linkage had to be remodeled to fit around my safety hubs. Less hassle with Hyatt bearing setups or other modern bearings but I wanted the full float and had them on my shelf.

I have more brake on the rear than the front but it all works nice even under heavy braking. I'm using a dual master cylinder and happy with the brakes. A proportioning valve could balance the forces if you had a single cylinder master cylinder.

The brakes were an interesting project for me on my car. I must admit that I'm a trial and error kind of guy and that I don't have the best machining or engineering skills so I won't be making these for anyone else. I just couldn't handle any associated liability if there was a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Thanks for the info Walt. I must admit I'm completely out of my element. I've never worked on modifying breaks to work on a model T. I just don't know where to begin or what parts to use. Your information you provided is been very helpful. Thank you for the insight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

There was a poster on here a year or two ago from Montreal who had a '12(?) touring with four wheel drums.

Be careful, IIRC he was run out of here for his blasphemous ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Tom Forsythe. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/515740.html?1430758986

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Mark
Contact me off list
Thx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Mark
Nice talking to you. We'll figure something out!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

Dan McEachern had a set of rear hydraulics at Bakersfield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Les is going to assist me with the front brakes he is perfecting. Maybe Dan can help me out with creating the rears. I appreciate all the input.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration