NH Carburetor leaks fuel from the Float Hinge rivets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: NH Carburetor leaks fuel from the Float Hinge rivets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

My NH is seeping gas from the rivets that hold the float hinge assembly in place. Is there a simple fix for this, is the float set too high, too low?? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Float too high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

1/4" from the side opposite the hinge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

If the float height is set correctly, then either the float is heavier than it should be, or the needle isn't shutting off the fuel flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Recheck the tightness on needle seat .Those gaskets are made from to hard a material and they Leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 02:12 am:

Here is the correct float setting for the NH Carb. It is more accurate if you make a measuring gauge out of rigid cardboard or plastic. Be sure to measure from the flange to the top of the float. Measure exactly opposite the hinge side. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 06:41 am:

Thank you! I'll try it again today! Appreciate the information!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 06:51 am:

Stupid question: When you install those rivets, do you use some sort of sealant in the hole before you peen them over? I just replaced the old, broken hinge assembly with a new part, new rivets and new float but I didn't use anything in the rivet holes....never thought it would leak from there!

Next: What happens to the running of the car if the float is set too low (greater than the 1/4"). Will the car run differently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:12 am:

There should not be gas at the level of those rivets with the car parked and the engine stopped. If there is leakage from those rivets it is because the float level is too high.

You should never have to remove the rivets when rebuilding the carburetor. If you do, there is not a reason for sealant on them since they are not immersed in fuel and should not normally be a point where anything could leak from. The swelled rivets should completely seal the holes anyway if the rivets are shot properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:30 am:

My hinge plate was missing one of the "loops" that hold the hinge pin/float assembly. Maybe I didn't seat the rivet properly. I'll check the float level first and go from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Gary,

I am not saying it right - the fuel level is too high, not the float level. It has to be one of three possibilities:

1. Leak from the fuel inlet elbow or threads dripping on top of the carburetor
2. Leaking needle / seat - but then you would have fuel running out the carburetor inlet too
3. Leak from the gasket in between the needle / seat and the carburetor - but again see #2

I wonder if the leak is actually coming from where the elbow screws into the carburetor? NH carburetors have been known to crack there when someone over tightens the pipe thread connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Ill get investigating! Thanks Royce! Appreciate it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Gary, On some carburetors there is a vent hole hidden under the name tag and if the gas level in the bowl is too high gasoline can run out from under the tag and drip down the side of the bowl creating a mystery leak. As stated above adjusting the float level will correct this problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration