Can somebody please tell me where these straps go?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Can somebody please tell me where these straps go?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

can somebody please tell me where these straps go?

I have straps #1 already on the car. I have an idea where the others go but have no idea exactly where to connect them. Pictures would be very helpful if possible.

And where do the nail pins go? Is there a book with this type of restoration detail in it?

Thank you in advance! Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Wish I could do the pic thing. I could show/tell u where all the straps go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

#6 are the top to windshield straps. They are held by a footman loop, the center of which is located 4-5/8" from the inside surface of the "straight" section of the front bow. The buckle hook then slips into the "eyes" at the end of the windshield stay rods. #4 and 5 look like the upper and lower halves of the rear curtain "stay" straps. The top section (the one without the steel O-ring) is held by a footman loop attached to the inner surface of the "straight' section of the rear bow; the center of the loop is 20-1/2" from the center of the bow. The lower section's O-ring goes over the L-iron that holds the saddle and is buckled to the top section. It is adjusted to take the strain off the rear curtain while still allowing the curtain to remain taut.#2 are the straps that hold the rear curtain and the side curtains when they are rolled up. The "nail pins" (Ford called them a "drive knob") are driven into the rear bow: two go on the top surface 9-1/2" each side of the center; two others go exactly under them in the same position on the underside surface of the bow. There is a second pair of these straps that are located outboard of the inner pair; the knobs for these are driven into the underside surface only of the rear bow, 13-1/2" from the center of the rear bow. #7 are the key strap assemblies. They attach to the top irons with a #8 x 5/8" round head brass wood screw and a round steel blued washer. The T-head cotter pins slip into the holes in the pins at the ends of the #1 & #2 bows.

Hope this helps. I can take some photos of my car's top once it gets back here. The whole car, I mean, not just the top ;<)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Incidentally, the footman loops are held by two #9 x 1" "French (oval) head blued steel wood screws."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

RV has answered.

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on May 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

RV did a great exclamation of them all!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Thank you! Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 10:41 am:

I might add that the #7 straps with what looks like a cotter pin are used to pin the top irons in place when they are pulled forward to locate them near the front seat. The top irons are positioned in the hole in the mounting bracket coming out of the body and are pushed down through the hole in the mount. If there is no hole for them in the outboard edge of the top iron, they can be positioned by inserting the pin in the hole and punching a dent in the top iron so a hole can be drilled for the screw. The stiffness of the leather strap will hold the whole assembly in place and keep the key pin from jumping out of the hole. If not, The small kink can be bent closer together to allow it to go through the hole more easily and hold it in the hole. Be careful when bending just one leg of the pin because it must be pinched together in order to be pushed through the vertical hole with one hand as the other hand keeps the top iron from coming out of the mounting bracket hole in the top socket body iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

And one more thing: the longer of the two key straps goes on the #2 (upright) bow. The hole in the bow for the screw is 5-11/16" from the center of the pin at the end of the bow. The shorter strap is used on the #1 bow. I don't have the measurement for the hole placement, but if you simply place the pin in the hole and lay the strap out, you will have a good idea as to where it goes. Mark the hole about 1/4" further down the bow than the hole in the strap so as to give the strap just a bit of slack so the cotter pin's not always pulling out of the hole as you drive. The screw holes in the straps, incidentally, are 1/8" diameter, 1/4" from the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Ok thank you guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Ford didn't use loops for the straps either, but they do look nice. In addition, Ford used a strap key for the windshield straps, which allows you to not use rivets for going around the footman loops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

The #3 strap set is the saddle pad set for a 1909-1911 Ford. This strap set is riveted to the top saddle.

Frank, Regarding the pins on the #7 pin straps, the pins are made so they expand when inserted into the hole in the top iron. This is done so you don't need to bend the pin to hold the pin in place.

RV, Thanks for all of the explanation of the straps...you did it better than I could have done.

BTW, the footman loops that are available today are nothing like the original steel footman loops, but they are all that can be purchased.

Finally, all of the straps are edged on a machine with an 1887 patent date, so I believe they would be pretty close to what was offered when the Model T was in production.

I hope this helps
Russ Furstnow

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration