Frank getting ready for a new paint job

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Frank getting ready for a new paint job
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

Frank, the 1912 Touring we bought from Royce is getting ready for a new paint job. The body number, B-15295. is on the top/front of the front seat riser as well as on the bottom of both rear doors. Fortunately for me, Royce went through all the mechanicals before the T found it's way to Conroe, Texas. Drives really nice. The body is already loose from the frame so that's about to come off. Got the painter in line now, so hopefully we can get the dark blue paint in place before too long

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

That's a beautiful car and it will be great blue. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

John,
I checked our Files on this car and can NOT find Cars Engine Serial #, What is it?

-Keep the photos coming!

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Casting date, 11-22-11, vin. 93622. The mtfca site tells me the engine was cast on the date shown and the vin was stamped when the car was sold in February, 1912. Not sure that's correct but that's what it shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:03 am:

no more pi-orange !

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:39 am:

John,

Back in 1989 - 92 when Bruce McCalley was writing the book no one knew of the existence of the Accounts Receivables archive at the Benson Ford. Trent Boggess found it while reorganizing some things, I believe around 2002 or thereabouts. By that time Bruce's book was long out of print.

Bottom line first - Bruce's numbers for 1912 are completely in error. They are off by about 10,000 - 15,000 serial numbers or by 1 - 2 months depending on how you want to look at it. I asked Bruce where the numbers came from, he said that there was a list compiled by someone that was the basis of it, not anything from Ford, and not documented to any period published figures.

Your car with serial number in the 93XXX range would have been shipped from the factory between approximately December 1, 1911, and December 25, 1911 according to my research done at the Benson Ford in 2008 - 2009. I spent about 3 full days during two separate visits at the Benson Ford looking specifically for the shipping record for that car.

I sent you a copy of a ledger page showing the 93XXX serialized cars shipping in December 1911 for example. I could have had 30 - 40 examples like that, if I had wanted to pay the docents $35 per page for additional ones.

The casting date is another example of how you can tell approximately when a particular car shipped. In winter of 1911 it would take about 7-10 days on average for a casting to make its way from the machine shop to a car being shipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Thanks Royce. It's good to know the history of the car, but to me, the main thing is that's it's in my garage and runs great. Got my painter set yesterday afternoon and he's just around the corner and does a good job. I'm having fun with the car and learning all I can about it. Thanks again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration