Bosch magneto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bosch magneto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry j Meares on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

I have a 1925 T model but my question is for my1911 Carter car. I have a DU 4 magneto and I have sent it out for repair 2 times. When it comes back I put it on and the car starts. The next day it will not fire. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Larry,
Maybe the magnets are being discharged. Is there a chance a battery current is being introduced to the system and discharging the magnets?

I've read too much spark plug gap will burn out the armature of a magneto, but I would that would take some running time.

Did the rebuilder list what the repair(s) were? That may help you determine what is happening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Is it rotating the proper direction? There are both clock and counter-clock wise rotation DU-4's. DU-4's are pretty bullet proof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:06 am:

What are you using for the control switch?
Is your DU-4 a dual or duplex or an independent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

I have a similar problem with a DU4, but it takes 6 months before the magnets become weak.
If you turn it by hand on the bench out of the engine, will it give sparks ?
Did the repairer test the magneto with a device at the same speed as it will turn on your engine ?
It looks like there is an internal short-circuit coming only after the mag has run.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration